How long does it take clownfish to become a pair???

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I introduced my two storm clownfish at the same time a little less than a month ago. The mocha storm is noticeably bigger, but not be a lot. I'd say the black storm is about an inch and the mocha is about 1.25. I was just wondering how long it usually takes for the clowns to become a pair? The mocha goes after the smaller black storm often but doesn't nip at his fins or anything. She seems to be showing him who's boss. I've only seen him do that twitching behavior once or twice so I'm not sure what that means. Any pointers would be appreciated!

As always, thanks #reefsquad

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of a roll of the dice IME. Time and perhaps the right partner? They're not really magnetic.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of a roll of the dice IME. Time and perhaps the right partner? They're not really magnetic.
That's true. They don't seem to hate each other so fingers crossed it works out!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if a female is not accepting, it's obvious right away.
Yours are on their way to being a bonded pair, when they spawn, then they are a mated pair, and that is usually when they are at least a year and a half to 2 years old, and sometimes you'll see some chasing again when female hits that period of change.
Bonding can happen right away.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can one test this bond of clownfish ? When you catch and put them in a new tank, then they will find each other? Then that true love will show that they bonded for good?

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if a female is not accepting, it's obvious right away.
Yours are on their way to being a bonded pair, when they spawn, then they are a mated pair, and that is usually when they are at least a year and a half to 2 years old, and sometimes you'll see some chasing again when female hits that period of change.
Bonding can happen right away.
Sounds good! They don't seem to hate each other so I think they're on the right track!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can one test this bond of clownfish ? When you catch and put them in a new tank, then they will find each other? Then that true love will show that they bonded for good?

If you took a bonded pair out of a tank and placed in a new tank, they would most likely immediately join each other.
Often if a mate dies, the survivor might not be very accepting of a new mate if it's too soon.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you took a bonded pair out of a tank and placed in a new tank, they would most likely immediately join each other.
Often if a mate dies, the survivor might not be very accepting of a new mate if it's too soon.

Very interesting

Back