How long does it take me to get Acan babies???

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's close to 7 months.
I got this Acan at Reefapalooza and it has done excellent in my tank, they puff up like a balloon daily, I feed twice a week but nothing, no growth.
Well today I caught them before they puffed up and low and behold, I have quad babies on one of the heads.

This is pretty exciting, I measure success as the ability to offer an environment in which your wards can reproduce successfully.

Today I am happy!!!
20220127_162905.jpg

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 small frags about 8 months ago and two of them are a little bigger than a golf ball and the third is bigger than a baseball. I have no idea why some just really take their time and some just explode?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.

When you feed, do you feed the heads with meaty foods directly, or are you feeding the tank? Squirting Mysis directly in the heads, in my experience, really makes them multiply.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont feed often but I've had luck with the roids the thicker the better directly into the head slowly. You really have to almost make a paste with that stuff for it to work. I did get some new lps pellets to try but they seemed to feed the skimmer better than anything else.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.

When you feed, do you feed the heads with meaty foods directly, or are you feeding the tank? Squirting Mysis directly in the heads, in my experience, really makes them multiply.
I target feed with either Reef Roids or pieces of shrimp.

OP
OP
G Santana

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel. I spend hours searching for little signs of encrusting or elongation of sps tips. My family and friends just shake their heads.
This is exactly how I spend my reef time, I take enjoyment from searching for growth.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird I never had to feed anything 15 years ago and had every ORA sps growing out of the tank. Now were feeding green water AB, roids garbage, and the newest pellet on the market. What happened? I cant stand paying for something that actually makes your system way worse off.

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird I never had to feed anything 15 years ago and had every ORA sps growing out of the tank. Now were feeding green water AB, roids garbage, and the newest pellet on the market. What happened? I cant stand paying for something that actually makes your system way worse off.
You tried it and it messed your tank up?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acans like reef roids, but they love eating meat like nothing else.

I like to give them comically large chunks of food to crack myself up while they consume it. I started doing this while testing their feeding response to different things. After giving different meaty foods, I started giving larger quantities to see “just how much can they pack down?”

I am still shocked by their capacity and ability to stuff their gut. It’s amazing, and just happens to be as entertaining to me as watching my scoly eat.

And man, does it make them happy. They get so fluffy that they bounce in the current like euphyllia and usually either pop 2 or so baby heads a month, or they seem to pump the current baby heads to grow like the hulk.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back