How long does palytoxins last in water?!

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hit/miss with what we define as nuclear green paly. Given that you can still type I think you and your tank are okay. Some carbon is still a good idea. The brown rough/sandy ones can really get you.

It is really 1/1000 of serious trouble but the tail risk is really ugly. While very remote, I have seen vision loss and the amputation of a thumb in extreme examples. We should (as consumers at least) remove them from the hobby. Just not worth the small risk IMHO as they are not that beautiful.

There are a few SPS that give me skin blisters when contacted. Nothing major; just something else I have to account for. With gloves.
Exactly! After reading about them from posing a video of me feeding them I was immediately done with them. Not worth the risk and over 2 weeks went from 5 polyps to 12. Took out the frag that o glued to the rock and some were attached so the one I ripped off the rock is the one I was worried about. But now no more large palys that I need to worry about. They would probably have taken over my rock and cover the zoas up with the way they were growing.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! After reading about them from posing a video of me feeding them I was immediately done with them. Not worth the risk and over 2 weeks went from 5 polyps to 12. Took out the frag that o glued to the rock and some were attached so the one I ripped off the rock is the one I was worried about. But now no more large palys that I need to worry about. They would probably have taken over my rock and cover the zoas up with the way they were growing.
Just hope your tank doesn't get Ostreopsis dinoflagellates... They produce palytoxin too ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! And they were taking over the rock and I’ve only had them in there for a few weeks. Went from about 5 polyps to I counted 12 when I took it off.
My point was, you thought they might be harmful yet you did something that could cause them to release toxins.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard from a few places in the past a simple carbon filter takes care of the issue. Honestly tho if you didn't have a cut on your hand, didnt touch your mouth or eyes, or anything of the sort you should be fine. Do whatever you gotta do to make yourself comfortable with the tank again tho, don't let it scare you off.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard from a few places in the past a simple carbon filter takes care of the issue. Honestly tho if you didn't have a cut on your hand, didnt touch your mouth or eyes, or anything of the sort you should be fine. Do whatever you gotta do to make yourself comfortable with the tank again tho, don't let it scare you off.
That’s my problem. Got some small cuts around my nails from biting nails and that’s the only thing that really worries me.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my problem. Got some small cuts around my nails from biting nails and that’s the only thing that really worries me.
Ok, that's just a lack of common sense (no offense). There are all kinds of things in your tank that you don't want to get into an open wound. Use gloves if you've got cuts!

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's just a lack of common sense (no offense). There are all kinds of things in your tank that you don't want to get into an open wound. Use gloves if you've got cuts!
Yes I did use gloves this time as I took them out because I’ve read about them. But if I’m not messing with corals I don’t really wear gloves. Went glasses and gloves while I removed those but I would like to get back to no gloves again

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did use gloves this time as I took them out because I’ve read about them. But if I’m not messing with corals I don’t really wear gloves. Went glasses and gloves while I removed those but I would like to get back to no gloves again
Once your cuts heal, there should be no problem

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw all my zoas release a brownish "juice" when i rip their bodies off the rockwork.
right. this is mostly zooxanthellae. millions of tiny brown single-cell algae that power all our photosynthetic coral. Cut any soft coral and squeeze it, and you'll find brown drops just the same.
(not saying don't be careful. Just saying the brown liquid isn't necessarily anything scary.)

FYI, see this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/palytoxin-chemistry.964804/

Back