How long does the ugly stage last? 6 month old tank -

Imback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove this hair algae or let it do it’s thing? Also, how in the world did I get snails? There every where? Would it have come from the “live sand”? Should I get them out?

B7358ED7-13CE-4FB0-997B-A4C1DBFD59EC.jpeg DE5CDD36-63F4-425F-BE0B-40B7908D4C60.jpeg

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the picture... If you can post a picture differently let's see those snails. As for the algae, yes it's good to manually remove it (with the algae you will be removing nutrients from the tank). Did you start with all dry rock?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably feeding on either silicates from the sand or phosphates

You don’t have to got through an ugly stage with any tank, Ive used rowaphos in my ‘big house’ since day one and I skipped the ugly stage deliberately

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just take a toothbrush to the algae, works real well. Then the snails will take care of the rest once it's not long and stringy anymore.

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I can I remove the rock from the tank and scrub with a tooth brush. Very easy on new tanks. Rinsing and dipping in old tank water from a water change. When I can not remove the rock. I manually pull off what I can with pinched fingers. Then your clean up crew will eat what is left once the algae is short. I have no idea how you got the snails if the rock was dry and the sand was bagged but hey they are good scavengers. Good luck with your tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage will last as long as it lasts and it is an important stage in the development of a healthy tank.
The bacteria are growing and over growing other bacteria as they vie for nutrients. Eventually the bacteria we want will prevail and the tank should be fine.
You don't want to short circuit that phase no matter how ugly it is. But you can manually remove the algae, just don't add any chemicals to kill it.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will last as long as you allow the conditions in which algae can grow on your rocks without competition. So you need to out compete it for nutrients. A fuge with a strong LED light designed to grow algae is in my opinion a great option as it does not require much maintenance, chemicals or refills. It’s totally natural and a good option if you are lazy. Also allows a safe place to grow pods. And as it is algae it consumes ALL of the same nutrients your hair algae does :)
4663DE38-DDE1-480D-9E7B-E9B41C9ABF8F.jpeg

=
54A09EDF-D711-4631-A297-630638AFD56D.jpeg

Heavy fish load and feeding, no tangs and CLEAN ROCKS. More than half of my rocks were dry rock. I also vacuum my sand bed as they are basically toilets, and there’s a reason you flush toilets!

Last edited:

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage will last as long as it lasts and it is an important stage in the development of a healthy tank. The bacteria are growing and over growing other bacteria as they vie for nutrients. Eventually the bacteria we want will prevail and the tank should be fine. You don't want to short circuit that phase no matter how ugly it is. But you can manually remove the algae, just don't add any chemicals to kill it.

This. You started with dry rock. Dry = dead. The evolution of life needs to occur before it goes away. I started a tank earlier this year with CaribSea life rock. Looked amazing for 60 days. I was through the nitrifying cycle, I had coralline algae starting, life was good. Then, out of nowhere, Dino’s, then Cyano, then golden algae, then bubble algae, and flatworms. This is all part of the reefing journey. As a hobbyist learn to recognize it, manage it, and move forward. You and your new tank will be better for it.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back