How long does the ugly stage last? is this normal?

dankykong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this 30 gal tank for a 2 months now, made sure to cycle it before. The sand gets dirty with red algee/bacteria alot, and so do the rocks. I do water changes every 1.5 weeks and frequently clean the algee of the walls of the tank. I was wondering if this was normal and if it will go away soon. If not, what can i do about it?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your dry rock seems to be maturing with time, but I'd still keep an eye on the "red algae". It could be red cyanobacteria, which is a photosynthetic bacteria that could throw off the bacterial balance in your tank. You can easily research ways to prevent it, but when I encountered this bacteria it went away after a few weeks on its own. To encourage its farewell, make sure your po4/phosphate is below 0.1ppm and make sure your nitrates are up. There are chemical treatments for cyano too, but I wouldn't jump the gun unless it seems relentless. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is normal, and yes it will go away. I wish I could tell you when, but every tank is different. Maybe in a month, maybe a few months. I would siphon off what I could when doing water changes, that helps. Increasing flow helps sometimes too with cyano. All of the really successful tanks I've seen over the years have a lot of flow. Adding another powerhead wouldn't be a bad idea. Otherwise it's looking like a good start, I like the rock work.

Upvote 0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano which can and most often a part of the process . It is photosynthetic so cutting your lights back , add and or increase flow , running a UV light , dosing a out competing positive bacteria like microbactor 7 , manual removal , and adding live phytoplankton is helpful all while keeping your parameters correct and steady making sure that you keep your phosphates and nitrates from zeroing out . Never let them zero out ever . It may take several weeks to month or more as nothing good happens over night . Be patient and it will pass . Wish the best of luck !!!

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seem like you have much of a clean up crew. Could you list your phosphate and nitrate levels (as well as the test kit used)?

Upvote 0

View Badges
Need pods ,clean up crew to help ,ugly stage can last a year for some but that due to not doing maintenance and putting to much chemicals in tank that don't need to be in there. BRS has a new series out about 12 tanks and ugly stages watch it ,it will help you.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is sort of no “normal”. I had cyanobacteria for quite some time. I tried various solutions to no avail. I happened to get about 3 different bacteria mixes for reef aquariums and dumped them in the tank (not all at the same time) and the cyano went away. Some bacteria in the mixes must have gotten established and out competed the cyano. So what is normal is not really a thing. Each tank can have its own weirdness and you try different things until you happen on something that works.

Upvote 0

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can last years. It can never happen at all. Each situation is highly variable and dependent on source of rock and sand, presence or cleanup crew, flow, lighting, ect. 2 months is essentially infancy when it comes to a reef tank. None of my tanks ever actually start looking good until 2+ years honestly.

Upvote 0

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dankykong Welcome to R2R!

You'll want to start measuring your fish only tank regularly for pH and/or Alkalinity and Phosphates with Nitrates. There is certainly an imbalance in your tank, resulting in the cyano winning over your tank. You'll want to consider reducing your light to a blackout period of 24 hours and consider an immediate water change, rock and sand clean with skimming activity thereafter. Continue to measure and reduce nitrates and phosphates, also consider running Chemi-Pure Elite and mechanical, even biological export systems.

Also, I would pick up a better test kit, even one from API but something like from Red Sea even Hanna would be best. Some do a few for $50-70 USD and others are more individualized but might offer a more precise number. I would lower your light levels, until your tank balances out. Try 20% and go up from there every few days. I presume your nitrates are coming from filtration, either from left over food or overfeeding and possibility the rock itself.

In regards to your options for filtration, I do see space underneath. What is on the back, is this a HOB filter?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 133 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back