How long does velvet take to present?

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ebelive my tank has velvet. Thing is, there are a couple things that make me second guess the diagnosis. First of all, it has been about 2 weeks since the last piece of livestock was added. Also, only a few fish are showing symptoms. So far, only my sailfin tang, engineer goby and royal gramma show much symptoms. What is weird is my powder blue tang is perfectly fine. I figured if velvet was here he would be the first to let me know. So I really just wanna know if its possible to be velvet considering nothing wet has been added in 2 weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is still well within an incubation time for velvet. What symptoms are you seeing?

Jay

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is still well within an incubation time for velvet. What symptoms are you seeing?

Jay
Classic dusty dots that are very numerous. Have you had any experience with using h2o2 to treat it? Thats really my only realistic option.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic dusty dots that are very numerous. Have you had any experience with using h2o2 to treat it? Thats really my only realistic option.

Typically, you'll see rapid breathing concurrently, or even before seeing any dusty spots. Here is a link to the abstract everyone references when talking about peroxide and treating velvet:

Basically, they used a 75 ppm dip for 30 minutes, but then they moved the fish to a clean, uninfected system, and THAT is the real trick! If you put the fish back in the tank they came from, they just get reinfected.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 55 80.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back