How long? For those that QT but not prophylactically treat

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that QT but just observe and only medicate when you see something; How long do you hold in QT before you feel all is good and release in DT?
I have been about 2 weeks now and (knock on wood) all looking good so far. It would be nice to release before THanksgiving but i have no problems pushing longer but I think longer times in QT create even more stress

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! Unless everyone does prophylactically trearmt!!!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my own interesting observation: i have a foxface, some green chromis and a banggai cardinal currently in QT (at about 4 weeks now).

prior to their introduction, i had a copperband butterfly in that same tank that soon came down with ich (and i lost the poor fellow). the banggai cardinal was with the CBB, so the tank never went fallow.

it's been 4 weeks since introducing the foxface, green chromis and the banggai cardinal to that same QT, and not a sign of ich. i conclude that these fish have a better constitution to fight off the ich than the CBB, but the ich is very likely still present. i will be treating the tank prophylactically soon with copper. (i'm allowing the these first weeks to go medication-free, and just let the fish strengthen up, get used to my food and gain weight, get used to my daily pattern, etc.).

eventually i want a tang or two, and it would be foolish of me to think that neither the foxface nor the green chromis nor the banggai cardinal are 100% ich-free. if i transfer them now to my main tank (180G), i most assuredly will have introduced ich [cue dramatic alfred hitchcock theme music]. ;Nailbiting

it's an easily preventable risk IHMO right now while I have full control of the QT sans inverts.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you hold in QT before you feel all is good and release in DT?

to answer this part: i plan to run the medicated QT period at the recommended 76 days-minimum promoted here on the forum.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 2 months. Occasionally I roll the dice at a month but I'd suggest waiting if you can

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both of you. I failed to mention that I do have a black moly I acclimated in there as well. I am using as canary and would expect him to break out if there was a parasite. He has been looking great. But I guess that will still not change you suggested opinions. I will keep in longer just to be safe. Safe than sorry right?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back