How long in acclimation box for new wrasse additions?

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few new wrasses in QT for several more weeks. A carpenter flasher, and a yellow flasher both about 2-2.5” and a pink Margin Fairy wrasse that’s about 3-3.5”. Surprisingly the PMF is very shy and hides all the time. In my DT I have a ruby head fairy wrasse about 3”... he’s never shown any aggression towards any of our other fish, though our new Kole tang spend all day following him around like he’s trying to keep him in check. Wrasse just swims away and our new hippo tang seems to have become his new side kick. Anyway, back to my question, when we add the new wrasses how long do you recommend keeping them in acclimation boxes? Thinking of the two smaller ones together and the PF in its own box since it’s bigger. If there doesn’t appear to be any aggression from the ruby is it only a few days? Just wondering so I know what size acclimation I should get for the PF if it’s going to be in it more than a few days.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved is the wrasse master. His thread here says 2-3 days.

here’s the part that pertains to your question

About the Acclimation Box

When adding new wrasses to a system already containing established wrasses, an acclimation box is a must. Place the new arrival(s) in the box for 2-3 days before releasing. During this time, observe the interaction between the new arrival(s) and the established tank mates. If aggressive behavior is witnessed and does not subside, you should rethink the release of the new addition(s). You may want to extend the acclimation period (say 4-5 days) and observe if the behavior subsides or changes. Generally, the acclimation box gives everyone enough time to “size each other up”, and much potential aggression is avoided as the hierarchy becomes established through visual interaction.

For further reading on this topic, I have an extended article here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-acclimation-box-can-this-thing-really-work.16/

There are a few options for acclimation boxes currently on the market. Elite Aquatics offers one with a white bottom. Also, the AccliMate by Reef Gently would work for the purpose. While pricier, it does offer additional functionality, and may make an efficient fish trap if you need to remove an established fish later down the road for various reasons: Direct or via Marine Depot.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back