How long into Copper Treatment should I still see ich and ich symptoms?

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by tcampbell23, Jun 19, 2017.

1. tcampbell23

tcampbell23 Well-Known Member

As the title reads, I am 10 days into the copper treatment of my QT process and my small hippo tang is still flashing and has spots of ich. The mimic tang and green chromis (I started with 8 and now only have 2 *insert disappointed face here*) show no signs of illness whatsoever. Not terribly concerned as they still have another 20 days minimum to go before I expect disease free and symptom free fish but, I did want to ask the experts here on R2R.

Tags:

2. Fr4nkthet4nk

Fr4nkthet4nk Well-Known Member

I am not an expert but you will need a good test to be sure you are in the values that the medicine recommend. Example: Cupramine needs to be to 0.5 mg/L for 14 days. My fish does not show more ich after a week.

Humblefish and melypr1985 like this.
  3. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though I'd be curious to see a good clear picture of the hippo and it's spots. Your sure the spots that are left are ich? Theoretically the spots should be all gone after a week or so. What kind of copper are you using and what is the level at?

4. tcampbell23

I am using coppersafe by mardel. I tested with my API test kit and it reads 1.75-2.0 or so. The therapeutic range is 1.5-2.5 if I am not mistaken.

She still flashes and scratches very frequently.

5. tcampbell23

I will try to get a good picture when I get home.

6. miyags

miyags Well-Known Member

10 fish in qt, how large is your qt tank. double check for ammonia. flashing could be flukes also.

7. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Agreed ^^ This is where I was going with my question above. Flukes is a possibility and the scratching from either ich or flukes can continue some after the parasites are gone.

Humblefish likes this.
  8. jcrow802

jcrow802 Well-Known Member

So what happen? Any updates? I'm going through this now

Draft saved Draft deleted