How long into Copper Treatment should I still see ich and ich symptoms?

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title reads, I am 10 days into the copper treatment of my QT process and my small hippo tang is still flashing and has spots of ich. The mimic tang and green chromis (I started with 8 and now only have 2 *insert disappointed face here*) show no signs of illness whatsoever. Not terribly concerned as they still have another 20 days minimum to go before I expect disease free and symptom free fish but, I did want to ask the experts here on R2R.

Fr4nkthet4nk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert but you will need a good test to be sure you are in the values that the medicine recommend. Example: Cupramine needs to be to 0.5 mg/L for 14 days. My fish does not show more ich after a week.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about it, though I'd be curious to see a good clear picture of the hippo and it's spots. Your sure the spots that are left are ich? Theoretically the spots should be all gone after a week or so. What kind of copper are you using and what is the level at?

OP
OP
tcampbell23

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using coppersafe by mardel. I tested with my API test kit and it reads 1.75-2.0 or so. The therapeutic range is 1.5-2.5 if I am not mistaken.

She still flashes and scratches very frequently.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 fish in qt, how large is your qt tank. double check for ammonia. flashing could be flukes also.

Agreed ^^ This is where I was going with my question above. Flukes is a possibility and the scratching from either ich or flukes can continue some after the parasites are gone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back