How long is to long for a hunger strike?

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a hippo tang I just got three days ago and he has not eaten yet even nori he won’t touch (banded to rock and on clip) he looks at it is curious about it but just won’t take a bite. No meds used as him and ammonia and nitrate are both zeros (refugium) and ph is between a 8.1-8.5 (Serra test kit) he’s biggest fish in the tank and is already becoming the tank boss isn’t hiding or anything alarming and visually no signs of disease. I was told by a lfs guy that metroplex in the water makes fish want to eat, but I don’t really believe that much, anyone know where he got that from or if its true? I’ve tried mysis krill brine veggie delight butterfly angel cubes two brands of pellets three brands of flakes idk what else to try. I’ve never had a tang hunger strike before so maybe it’s normal and I’m just over reacting also could be the case. Any opinions work I’ve had garlic on all the food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have a hippo tang I just got three days ago and he has not eaten yet even nori he won’t touch (banded to rock and on clip) he looks at it is curious about it but just won’t take a bite. No meds used as him and ammonia and nitrate are both zeros (refugium) and ph is between a 8.1-8.5 (Serra test kit) he’s biggest fish in the tank and is already becoming the tank boss isn’t hiding or anything alarming and visually no signs of disease. I was told by a lfs guy that metroplex in the water makes fish want to eat, but I don’t really believe that much, anyone know where he got that from or if its true? I’ve tried mysis krill brine veggie delight butterfly angel cubes two brands of pellets three brands of flakes idk what else to try. I’ve never had a tang hunger strike before so maybe it’s normal and I’m just over reacting also could be the case. Any opinions work I’ve had garlic on all the food.
they are Not big on Nori but also are very shy and stubborn and will even play dead at times and you walk away and they are back to normal.
is it truly not eating. . . . next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Check back and review video, then you will know if he is eating when you are away from tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Lots of hepatus won’t eat nori at first. Try frozen mysids or live adult brine if it refuses that.
Jay

OP
OP
A

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Lots of hepatus won’t eat nori at first. Try frozen mysids or live adult brine if it refuses that.
Jay
okay will do thanks for the replys from you and @vetteguy53081 appreciate you guys both for all your help, im sorry if im mistaken but i thought tangs loved nori? are hippos a exception? i did some light research on hippo tangs and have kept other tangs for 7 months now just fine so figured i had it down pack. is the diet for a hippo tang algae waffers/ cubes, nori on a clip and meaty foods every so often good enough?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay will do thanks for the replys from you and @vetteguy53081 appreciate you guys both for all your help, im sorry if im mistaken but i thought tangs loved nori? are hippos a exception? i did some light research on hippo tangs and have kept other tangs for 7 months now just fine so figured i had it down pack. is the diet for a hippo tang algae waffers/ cubes, nori on a clip and meaty foods every so often good enough?

Juvenile hepatus tangs are more plankton pickers, not algae eaters. Adults eat more algae, but they are still omnivores.
Also, the roasted Nori sheets that many people buy to feed their fish is horrible nutritionally, you need to feed air dried algae designed for marine aquarium fish.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back