How long is too long for a toadstool to shed??

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to find my toadstool sloughing off it's outer skin. It took two almost two entire months for the shedding process to complete. The coral is already inflating again after being completely toppled over, and the polyps look like they're peeping out. Will post a final update once it sheds completely. Here is a photo I took of it this morning (already looks much better now). Even when a Sarcophyton looks like it's on the way out, don't give up hope.

Attachments

• IMG_9057.JPG
    IMG_9057.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 114

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do regular water changes and run carbon just like you mentioned. All of my other leathers are happy, so I can't see it being a parameter issue. I've had new sarcos close up for a week or two while adjusting, but never anything this long. Perhaps I just need to keep waiting. Appreciate all the help
I have a weeping willow from biota (does anyone know if their frags traced back to the original discussed above?) and it will close up like this for long periods if my crabs decide to use it as a jungle gym. I have somewhere around 6 or 7 various types of toadstools and the willow throws the biggest temper tantrums when poked. I do keep mine on the sand but it’s probably mid-tank (biocube) when extended and in a medium flow. Come to think of it, actually, I just swapped out flow from multi direction pulsing to more of a constant flow in one direction and it is not as happy (literally realized it, need to fix). Is your flow sporadic? Much luck, it’s one of my favorite coral.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a weeping willow from biota (does anyone know if their frags traced back to the original discussed above?) and it will close up like this for long periods if my crabs decide to use it as a jungle gym. I have somewhere around 6 or 7 various types of toadstools and the willow throws the biggest temper tantrums when poked. I do keep mine on the sand but it’s probably mid-tank (biocube) when extended and in a medium flow. Come to think of it, actually, I just swapped out flow from multi direction pulsing to more of a constant flow in one direction and it is not as happy (literally realized it, need to fix). Is your flow sporadic? Much luck, it’s one of my favorite coral.
My flow is very random, I use two ecotech pumps running opposite to each other for flow. The coral opened up for 3-4 days but is now closed again funny enough. All my other softies are happy as can be, this one is just picky. I'm sure it'll come around soon.

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to conclude this thread, the coral eventually opened up and is doing well. Here is a video of it currently. Don't give up on shedding leathers!

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to conclude this thread, the coral eventually opened up and is doing well. Here is a video of it currently. Don't give up on shedding leathers!

What is the yellow one in your video? It’s stunning!

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much longer did it open after high flow movement?
It got a bit longer (couple more inches) before pouting again. It closed for another couple of months and is now back open, but the polyps are still fairly short. Getting longer by the day though. I found that iodine dipping it triggered the outer skin to peel within a day or so. Moved it to another system with less large leathers as I was suspicious of chemical warfare. When I bought the colony I saw it 'weep' so to speak. Here's what it looks like currently after shedding https://www.instagram.com/reel/CofKWQnDMY3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

OP
OP
Acroporaguy

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see it on the right now. Moved it to another system. It occasionally sheds now, but it only lasts a couple of days.

I don't know why it had such a hard time in my other tank. Maybe because that tank had massive colonies of leathers? Chemical warfare? Anyways, they're indestructible.

Attachments

• IMG_6656.JPG
    IMG_6656.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 68

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back