New Hippo Tang QT

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reef fam,

Decided to try another Hippo for our reef as my daughter loves them (as do i). Found this one from a reputable online dealer that had been through their QT and recovery fine. Overnighted to my home, in bag less than 18 hours. Got here and put in bucket for drip acclimation to my QT (no copper or meds, just to examine for now).

Well, the little buggar will swim around every now and then (once an hour), but mostly is just laying on her side. Seems to be breathing heavily as well. Parameters are good. Been in there since 11:00 AM CST today and still laying down. I know this is common even in healthy hippos, but at what point should I begin to act. When should I start worrying and possibly try some sort of mitigation measure to help ( if anything is wrong...).

I was thinking in morning if she's not up swimming/eating...

Experienced thoughts?

Thanks!!!
20200703_211409.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights off for a few days. Only ambient room light like from a window.
Wrap the back and end walls with dark paper. Add a few plastic aquarium plants. All of these help calm the fish down and lower stress.

Dalalen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say parameters are good, what did you check. Ammonia would be my first concern. Heavy breathing could be lack of oxygen or parasites in the gills. Did you do a freshwater dip?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress. Time will tell. @Big G's advise is about all you can do. Lights out and some cover with PVC sections.

You could add a air stone with pump for O2 if you have it.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say parameters are good, what did you check. Ammonia would be my first concern. Heavy breathing could be lack of oxygen or parasites in the gills. Did you do a freshwater dip?
Yes. Checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And of course salinity and temp. Ammonia <.001 (seneye), others are around 2ppm. Salinity is 1.026. Temp 77F.

I didn't do any dips or treatment as she was already laying on her side when I dumped the bag water into the bucket to acclimate. From there, did a 1-cup/5min of tank water starting with half gallon of bag water. Brought total water volume up to 1 gallon. Dumped half and repeated up to 1.5 gallons. She would swim around when pouring water but then just lay down once flow stopped.

I'd only turned the light on for the picture. Its been off the whole time with cardboard wrapping on all sides except side panel as well. There are 2 large PVC sections she could hide in and an airstone for O2. The only thing this QT doesn't have is a wavemaker!

This morning, she is still laying down. Color looks like a deeper blue, no fading. But she's still laying down unless disturbed.

How long before I should do a FW dip or something else? Or, is it possible that I just ended up getting a lazy, healthy fish.

There are zero whitespots on her.

I'm at a loss.....

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. And of course salinity and temp. Ammonia <.001 (seneye), others are around 2ppm. Salinity is 1.026. Temp 77F.

I didn't do any dips or treatment as she was already laying on her side when I dumped the bag water into the bucket to acclimate. From there, did a 1-cup/5min of tank water starting with half gallon of bag water. Brought total water volume up to 1 gallon. Dumped half and repeated up to 1.5 gallons. She would swim around when pouring water but then just lay down once flow stopped.

I'd only turned the light on for the picture. Its been off the whole time with cardboard wrapping on all sides except side panel as well. There are 2 large PVC sections she could hide in and an airstone for O2. The only thing this QT doesn't have is a wavemaker!

This morning, she is still laying down. Color looks like a deeper blue, no fading. But she's still laying down unless disturbed.

How long before I should do a FW dip or something else? Or, is it possible that I just ended up getting a lazy, healthy fish.

There are zero whitespots on her.

I'm at a loss.....

I wouldn't do anything to her for awhile. No dips, wouldn't treat her either, until it's up and eating for a day or two.

Some fish stress really bad. Hepatus especially are prone to this.

All you can do is wait.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anything to her for awhile. No dips, wouldn't treat her either, until it's up and eating for a day or two.

Some fish stress really bad. Hepatus especially are prone to this.

All you can do is wait.
Ok. But, sounds like I'm doing ALL that I CAN do at this point though? Other than going to Petco for some plastic aquarium decor....?

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the pH? Do you have an air stone? Places for him to hide?
pH is 7.93 this morning (seneye). Yes, there is an airstone in there. One 4.5 inch PVC with 3 openings and one 2.5 inch with 3 openings. The QT is a 20g tall from Aqueon at Petco - of course removed the guts of the filter (carbon, foam stuff) and replaced with my own filter sponge and some bio-media - this is what i've always used in QT and works well.

Maybe i should add a bag of carbon? Maybe something got in there during setup that i just dont remember....i have no idea. But that wouldn't explain the fact that she was already laying down in the shipment water in the bucket during acclimation...

uggghh...i just don't know what to do. i guess all i can do is wait. might try offering some garlic/selcon soaked nori later today or some brine shrimp..

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing you can do is leave it alone, It will come around if it is healthy. Avoid doing too much or anything for now that will stress it out more.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is 7.93 this morning (seneye). Yes, there is an airstone in there. One 4.5 inch PVC with 3 openings and one 2.5 inch with 3 openings. The QT is a 20g tall from Aqueon at Petco - of course removed the guts of the filter (carbon, foam stuff) and replaced with my own filter sponge and some bio-media - this is what i've always used in QT and works well.

Maybe i should add a bag of carbon? Maybe something got in there during setup that i just dont remember....i have no idea. But that wouldn't explain the fact that she was already laying down in the shipment water in the bucket during acclimation...

uggghh...i just don't know what to do. i guess all i can do is wait. might try offering some garlic/selcon soaked nori later today or some brine shrimp..

I know what your going through, been there, done that. Hang in there and don't get discouraged. If it makes it, then good. If it doesn't, you did all you can do. That's all any of us could do.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only check temp, salinity and ammonia. All the other parameters are not needed. You do need air stone and need place for him to hide. Blue Pacific tang are well known to lay on their side during stress. Low light, place to hide and leave him alone is what you can do to help.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only check temp, salinity and ammonia. All the other parameters are not needed. You do need air stone and need place for him to hide. Blue Pacific tang are well known to lay on their side during stress. Low light, place to hide and leave him alone is what you can do to help.
There is an airstone and lights have been off entire time except for the 1 photo to start this post.

Today is day 3. I saw her eat a little late last night so that was good. She ate a couple brine/mysis shrimp and a mouthful of Nori. Then, laid back down.

This morning, same thing. I offered a couple brine/mysis and she ate about 80% of them. Looks like she chewed on the Nori sheet overnight too. Its missing about 30% and with no real flow, I don't think it just came off...

Anyway, now, she's back to laying on her side. Moving every 30m to an 1hr. Im beginning to think she's just lazy.

Still no signs of disease (that my inexperienced eye can pick out). No whitespots anyway. Havent seen her poop yet.

So, I'm just going to continue the plan. Hurry up and wait....unless someone with more experience has a better idea? I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone for chiming in so far!! This is tough to watch/do, because she looks pitiful just laying there. Its like I wanna disturb her to get her moving, like she's a hungover teenager ;)

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it was the drip acclimation that stressed it out. From built up ammonia in the shipping water turning toxic when exposed to air.

Always thought it was best to check salininty and temp of the bag water. Match qt parameters to that. Temp acclimate and add fish. All while minimizing the exposure of the bag water to air.

I think all you can do now is wait and minimize stress. Hope it pulls through for you.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it was the drip acclimation that stressed it out. From built up ammonia in the shipping water turning toxic when exposed to air.

Always thought it was best to check salininty and temp of the bag water. Match qt parameters to that. Temp acclimate and add fish. All while minimizing the exposure of the bag water to air.

I think all you can do now is wait and minimize stress. Hope it pulls through for you.
Yeah, this could've been what happened as there was a lot of floaters in the bag water. But, I did drain at least half of it before starting the cup/4min. Started with 0.5gal of bag water, immediately added 2 cups of tank water, then 1 cup every 4/5min....so, maybe that's what happened?

Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who helped!! Here's a success story we can all appreciate. In video too!! Check it out..

Waterbox 100.3 Episode 3 - HIPPO in QT

Thanks to everyone who provided support and encouragement. I know she's not out of the woods yet, but sure looks/acting much better!!!

Sincerely thanks to all!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back