How long should I expect my Radion to last before I need to replace it?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know. I'm one of the weirdos who hasn't upgraded his LEDs to the newest ones out... I've got a Radion Gen1 that I upgraded to the Gen3 pucks a few years ago, and I'm wondering how long I should expect it to last before I need to be thinking about replacements? Also, should I expect gradual PAR decrease, or would the diodes just burn out when they're done?

Btw, I do still love my radions. I just am wondering at what point I need to expect to retire them and how I'll know what that looks like. :)

@Dana Riddle @Tim at EcoTech #lightinggurus

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably depends on how many years ago they were replaced. The Gen3 came out early 2014 so at this point I would not use one at this point as I would not trust the spectrum loss, plus intensity drop. I replaced my LEDs around 5 years and did not realize the difference until the new one arrived. They sure did drop over that time. Sure they say LEDs last many hours before they drop to 70% output but I am not sure I believe them and it also depends on the design / temp they run at and heat sink performance. If designed correctly they drop in intensity over time, not burn out.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My upgrade was done about 5 years ago...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck that’s pretty impressive your gen1s are still going just with the upgraded pucks! Sorry that is old enough I can’t answer how much longer you will get but I do see the old AIs still in use from time to time.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only way to tell would be a par meter I guess?
I just bought a PAR meter this weekend. It should be here this week sometime. :cool: I'm definitely planning to check everything. I bought an AquaticLife T5 Hybrid fixture not too long ago, so I want to see what PAR I'm getting with and without the T5s.

Lokipsl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a pair of gen2 pros that I use. I do have a UV led that went out on one fixture but other than that they are doing pretty good

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I don’t understand the argument of T5 vs led for bulb savings, leds go out in 5 years
Aren’t these gen 1 that he upgraded 5 years ago? And they are still running fine? If gen 1 then the base hardware is 7-10 year old. That’s pretty dang solid.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a PAR meter this weekend. It should be here this week sometime. :cool: I'm definitely planning to check everything. I bought an AquaticLife T5 Hybrid fixture not too long ago, so I want to see what PAR I'm getting with and without the T5s.
A par meter will not give you an idea of how much the spectrum changed over time, which LEDs do as well in various degrees depending on the specs. For me the whites looked more warm to me over time.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I'm one of the weirdos who hasn't upgraded his LEDs to the newest ones out... I've got a Radion Gen1 that I upgraded to the Gen3 pucks a few years ago, and I'm wondering how long I should expect it to last before I need to be thinking about replacements? Also, should I expect gradual PAR decrease, or would the diodes just burn out when they're done?

Btw, I do still love my radions. I just am wondering at what point I need to expect to retire them and how I'll know what that looks like. :)

@Dana Riddle @Tim at EcoTech #lightinggurus
Useful life of LED luminous flux is often cited as when it reaches 70%, which is more common than sudden, complete failure. Reduction of luminous flux can be caused by heat, drive current, and humidity, causing yellowing of the optics (which lessens transmission of blue light.) Other chromaticity shifts reported include shift to blue (due to phosphor changes), yellow shifts (lens oxidation, phosphor efficiency), green shift (phosphor oxidation, reduction in red emissions) and red shift (shifts in green and red emissions). High temps can cause phosphors to settle, curl, delaminate which causes reduction in photon emissions. If heat and humidity are well-controlled, it is not unreasonable to expect a LED luminaire to provide years of service. If PAR is the only concern, use of a quality quantum meter (Apogee) will tell the tale (and possibly report PAR loss due to extreme spectral shifts.) Spectral shifts are best reported by a spectrometer, although a Seneye device could possibly 'see' them. As usual, no pat answer as to useful LED life. It depends.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'll get some PAR readings with my new meter and see how it looks. I'm getting the BioTek Marine BTM3000.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know a couple people in the same boat.
Using gen 1 Radions with the upgrade to gen 3 pucks 4-5 years ago and still have corals growing.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look out...

When @Dana Riddle speaks...

2Q==.jpg

I think God consulted @Dana Riddle when He created light

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looked on the ecotech site and i dont see any new pucks...just fuses and fans

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back