How long should i mix instant ocean salt for?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the regular instant ocean salt and I mix my salt manually for about 30 minutes then i let it sit with a power head for 3-6 hours. Is this long enough?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the regular instant ocean salt and I mix my salt manually for about 30 minutes then i let it sit with a power head for 3-6 hours. Is this long enough?
I'm not sure i throw a maxi jet 1200 in a 5gal bucket 20 min and it's crystal clear.

I like to see bottom of the bucket before use.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best idea is to read the directions on the container or on the manufacturer website.

I use reef crystals and use it as soon as I want after it's dissolved and reaches the desired salinity...

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the reef crystals. I have mixed 5 gallons and used within an hour, but I normally mix 10-15 gallons in a Brute can overnight before use. No particular reason other than my RO/DI is usually fresh so it’s pretty cold.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there is no salt residue and the specific gravity is constant your good to go. I have mixed mine in as little as 30 min. I do use a power head and a heater.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why heat it? Unless it's a large water change, or a difference of more than 10 degrees, it's no different than a cool current passing through an ocean reef.
Our water usually comes out at around 60F-65F. There is no way I would take my chance with changing 20% of the water with such low temperatures

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our water usually comes out at around 60F-65F. There is no way I would take my chance with changing 20% of the water with such low temperatures
Like I said... If there's a difference of 10 degrees or less...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said...I am not taking any change with any temperature swing. Plus I think temperatures also effect certain water parameters.
I was just clarifying my comment for the OP. You're free to do whatever you want with your tank

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean dissolves quickly. I stir a 5 gallon bucket for 2 minutes and the water reaches peak salinity by then. The solution is slightly hazy at this point but is clear in a few hours.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back