How long should i mix instant ocean salt for?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals for my salt. I mix 30g at a time using a VERY high powered pond pump. I fill the can with fresh RODI water, turn on the pump and heater, then add the salt in 2 batches allowing at least an hour or so between. When I perform my water changes, the new SW is at tank temp and clear.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 to 45 minutes is about all the time I give for my salt to mix up. I use Reef Crystals.
I stir in the salt till it reaches the right salinity and mix it up till it's mostly clear. Then I throw an air stone and a heater in the bucket while I go scrape the glass and syphon out my tank. Cleaning up the tank takes about 30 mins max and by the time I'm done with that, the water is clear, up to temp, and ready to go in.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a video on Youtube on the mixing and storing times of various brands of salts. Depending on what kind of tank you have, it does make a difference what salt you use, and when you use it after mixing. I make 30 gallons at a time in a brute can on wheels. A cheap powerhead and heater are in there to circulate and heat the water. I generally let it mix at least overnight.

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a video on Youtube on the mixing and storing times of various brands of salts. Depending on what kind of tank you have, it does make a difference what salt you use, and when you use it after mixing. I make 30 gallons at a time in a brute can on wheels. A cheap powerhead and heater are in there to circulate and heat the water. I generally let it mix at least overnight.
Gotta get the wheels. Changes the game

OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New salt can hurt gills of fish. Don't change until clear. No need to heat until ready for a water change. It's better to mix first unheated.
Are you suppose to heat it every time? i don’t know where but someone told me if your not doing anything above a 25 percent water change you don’t need to heat it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suppose to heat it every time? i don’t know where but someone told me if your not doing anything above a 25 percent water change you don’t need to heat it.
Better to not heat while mixing them heat to do wc.
My take on heating the water for water change is this;
Temperature of a tank and volume
Minus (% of wc and temperature)
So let's say you have a 100 gallon tank and it's 80 degrees.
You want to do a 25 gallon wc and it's in a bucket in your living room at 70 degrees. If you don't heat it you will lower the temperature of the tank by 2.5 degrees.
BUT a 10 gallon wc will lower it 1 degree.
I probably would raise the temp of the 25 gallon to at least 75 degrees. But the 10 gallon, I wouldn't bother.

OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to not heat while mixing them heat to do wc.
My take on heating the water for water change is this;
Temperature of a tank and volume
Minus (% of wc and temperature)
So let's say you have a 100 gallon tank and it's 80 degrees.
You want to do a 25 gallon wc and it's in a bucket in your living room at 70 degrees. If you don't heat it you will lower the temperature of the tank by 2.5 degrees.
BUT a 10 gallon wc will lower it 1 degree.
I probably would raise the temp of the 25 gallon to at least 75 degrees. But the 10 gallon, I wouldn't bother.
Could a water fluctuation of 2.5 degrees put the fish into shock? I know when i do a water change the temperature goes down by at most 1.5 degrees.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back