How long should I wait after adding Phosphates or Nitrates to recheck levels.

BRS

ScottB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Both will show up pretty quick. Nitrate can hang around a while before being consumed by bacteria and coral.

Phosphate is a bit different. In a depleted system, the added PO4 will be quickly bound up in your depleted rock and sand (aragonite). So testing shortly after addition may show some residual, but some hours later it will all be bound up. This pattern continues until the rock and the water are equally saturated.

When both are depleted, it is my experience that nitrates are easy and quick to rise when dosing. Phosphates require MUCH more dosing, easily 5:1 depending on the solution concentration.

OP
lelandmarine

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Both will show up pretty quick. Nitrate can hang around a while before being consumed by bacteria and coral.

Phosphate is a bit different. In a depleted system, the added PO4 will be quickly bound up in your depleted rock and sand (aragonite). So testing shortly after addition may show some residual, but some hours later it will all be bound up. This pattern continues until the rock and the water are equally saturated.

When both are depleted, it is my experience that nitrates are easy and quick to rise when dosing. Phosphates require MUCH more dosing, easily 5:1 depending on the solution concentration.
Thanks

BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 173 41.8%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 8.5%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 180 43.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.4%