How long should I wait after adding Phosphates or Nitrates to recheck levels.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been adding phosphates and nitrates to bump up my levels. Does anyone know about how much time you should wait after an addition before rechecking a level. Thanks

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding nitrate or phosphate in liquid form, you can check testing as soon as they mix in your water. So about 30 minutes or an hour would be ample unless you have really low flow.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both will show up pretty quick. Nitrate can hang around a while before being consumed by bacteria and coral.

Phosphate is a bit different. In a depleted system, the added PO4 will be quickly bound up in your depleted rock and sand (aragonite). So testing shortly after addition may show some residual, but some hours later it will all be bound up. This pattern continues until the rock and the water are equally saturated.

When both are depleted, it is my experience that nitrates are easy and quick to rise when dosing. Phosphates require MUCH more dosing, easily 5:1 depending on the solution concentration.

OP
OP
lelandmarine

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both will show up pretty quick. Nitrate can hang around a while before being consumed by bacteria and coral.

Phosphate is a bit different. In a depleted system, the added PO4 will be quickly bound up in your depleted rock and sand (aragonite). So testing shortly after addition may show some residual, but some hours later it will all be bound up. This pattern continues until the rock and the water are equally saturated.

When both are depleted, it is my experience that nitrates are easy and quick to rise when dosing. Phosphates require MUCH more dosing, easily 5:1 depending on the solution concentration.
Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back