How long should it take for Phosphate to rise?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I recently discovered my Seachem phosphate test kit is pretty much crap. I've been reading around .15 ppm on it for months until i started noticing zoas closing up. I ordered the Nyos phosphate test kit, it showed 0.0. I then ordered a Hana checker and it also shows 0.00. The low range hana phosphate checker is working correctly. I tested it out with some 1ppm test solution that comes with the Seachem test kit. The Seachem test kit also tests the solution correctly, yet 2 different readings from the tank.

I've shut my refugium off and removed my filter socks in attempt to get some kind of reading.

It's been about a week and I have yet to get a reading above 0.00. I for sure do not want them to skyrocket, but i'd like to at least have a measurable amount of phosphate.

I'm feeding a mix of home made food that include store bought shrimp, sword fish, tuna, dried mysis, fish eggs, dried krill, algae flakes, and pellet food. All mixed with both fish and coral ammino acids, and vitamins. I was usually feeding about 2-3 cubes worth for 140 gallons of water. 13 fish including 3 tangs. A mess of hermits and snails. I feel like its more than enough food for them. They basically eat until they are full and stop going after food quickly after about 3 minutes.

I alternate between feeding nori and reef roids every day. My corals are still pretty much frags, but there are 2 dozen of them. A few of the zoas are already growing into colonies.

Other parameters:
Nitrate 10ppm
Salinity 1.025
Dkh 10
Calc 430
PH ~8.2 average ( when using the refugium at night)

There really isn't any visible algae in the display that could be sucking down all the phosphate. I'm not sure where its going unless my skimmer is just that good. I've already had a run in with dinos about 4 months ago and I really want to avoid having to go through that again. I assumed i'd have a reading after a week of keeping the refugium off and removing the filter socks. I can probably go another week before needing to turn the fuge light back on to keep my PH in check at night.

I also run a very high turn over rate through the sump and my skimmer cup fills up completely in a week.

Any suggestions? Should I continue as is or make some changes?

Thanks!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to follow along ...
I’m having the complete opposite issue .
one day the phosphate levels are .03
The next they are .17
I’m not sure if the ulr phosphorus test kit is that accurate or just testing error .

I can’t manage to get them to stay lower .
stop feeding and they lower a little .
feed once and they’re back where it started .

OP
OP
MarshallB

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to follow along ...
I’m having the complete opposite issue .
one day the phosphate levels are .03
The next they are .17
I’m not sure if the ulr phosphorus test kit is that accurate or just testing error .

I can’t manage to get them to stay lower .
stop feeding and they lower a little .
feed once and they’re back where it started .
That is my worry because that is how it normally works and thats how I would expect it to work. The amount of food i'm dumping in with only a skimmer running should be increasing phosphate, at least at a noticeable rate. Either 2 test kits are wrong or I have a magic tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running rowaphos in a reactor ,
1talble spoon of media per 10 gal volume which is extreme
It should be knocking the phosphates out of the water .
The largest water change I can do is 10%

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back