How Long Should LED Bulbs Last (life span)?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should you do if your fixture (AI, Maxpset, Radion, Vertex, Orphex, Pacific Sun, Sfiligoi) run out of life span after 5 years?
I believe they all have replacement pucks, and are properly cooled, so dead LEDs should not be an issue. I am sure these companies are all ruputable, and would be happy to send a replacement board, or repair it for you, for a fee after the warranty expires.

OP
OP
Redstag

Redstag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each year LEDs will come out with new design, the old design will be discontinued. Do you think they still have keep the old design LED in stock after 5 years?

Last edited:

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each year LEDs will come out with new design, the old design will be discontinued. Do you think they still have keep the old design LED in stock after 5 years?

That is a great point.

I purchased a Kessil a350 and since they don't have pucks, just a board with individual diodes, I hope they'll be able to fix or repair my light after 5 years has passed.

OP
OP
Redstag

Redstag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hard time now you look back for the old LEDs last two years in the market. They do mass production for all the fixtures (most of them surface mount LEDs on the circuit board), so it's not easy for you to replace them by yourself.

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look, the old LEDs are still around, just not widely used. A company will usually have a few extra boards from way bakc laying around.

ToadallyNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great point.

I purchased a Kessil a350 and since they don't have pucks, just a board with individual diodes, I hope they'll be able to fix or repair my light after 5 years has passed.

That's a good question. I have the A150w's. I think they claim 7 years of life, but of course it also depends on whether the other parts of the light hold up as well. These lights are not modular, so they'll probably be just as cheap to replace as repair.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cree XP and XT series have rated life span of 50,000 hours (11 years), and after that they produce 75% of their new light output.

That is provided they stay cool with a proper heatsink or fan.

Many of the drivers used are rated for less. With a quality fixture or a cheaper Epistar LED fixture it is more likely for the driver to fail before the LEDs.

Most factory fixtures have all the LEDs on a single board some even have the driver built into the board which makes it difficult or impossible to repair without replacing the whole thing. This is why I like DIY. If a single part fails simply replace it as its as easy as changing a Bulb or balast on a MH Fixture if you use solderless connectors.

Bill

OP
OP
Redstag

Redstag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill,

You are correct, I try to replace some blue LEDs from my fixture but it didn't work. DYI is so easy to replace the LEDs Bulbs. It doesn't matter the new or old LED bulbs. Good luck with the one run out the warranty

Last edited:

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 5 years the price and features will change. Best thing to do get a new fixture for 1/2 the price and better leds and features.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back