How long should my tang stay in my sump?

ekandler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tried to add a sailfin to my established reef and my powder blue wasn’t into it. Tried an acclimation box for the sailfin, after a day or two released him and powder blue at it again. This time I tried getting the powder blue out and saw the recommendation to sump the aggressor to show him who’s boss and make him reestablish dominance. He’s been in there almost 48 hours, how long should I leave him in there before putting him back in the tank? All my other tangs are happy with my new addition, just the powder blue causing problems. Any recommendations for adding him back in, turn off lights or time of day to reintroduce him? Thanks!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,hard to say, PBT's can be aggressive and never change,
just be ready to remove ,after another acclimation box trial and release.
best wishes.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a little circular mirror at the side of the tank where the PBT goes the most also worked on my purple tang when i added my PBT so worked twice for me

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks and re-arrange rock but realize powders can hold grudges and it may never work.

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use a small mirror ( approx 8”) as others have said but I also use black trash bags to cover the tank for 24 hours to keep the tank in total darkness. I have several tangs together in 2 different tanks and this method has worked every time. I keep the mirror up for an additional 24 hours after removing the black bags. Good luck!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeeeeeeeeee OOooooooooooo WEeeeeeeeeeeeeee Oooooooooooo Tang police everybody put your hands up don't move !!!!!!!

Did you say multiple tangs in 100 gallon ? Sailfin ? Powder Blue ?

You have the right to remain silent. you have the right to an attorney
Now, that is helpful :rolleyes:

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, that is helpful :rolleyes:
First get a sense of humour

Second You cant help that situation no matter what you do those are 2 large of tangs to put in 100 gallon tank there will always be problems with aggression. Besides the fact there are 2 large tangs in this system he mentioned there are other tangs as well who knows how many?

So yes Tell me how you can help keep a sailfin and powder blue be best friends in 100 gallon system . I am very curious if your magic mirror can fix this problem LOL good luck

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeeeeeeeeee OOooooooooooo WEeeeeeeeeeeeeee Oooooooooooo Tang police everybody put your hands up don't move !!!!!!!

Did you say multiple tangs in 100 gallon ? Sailfin ? Powder Blue ?

You have the right to remain silent. you have the right to an attorney
the attorney needs to be kept in an aquarium, the attorney is scared of tangs and must be kept in a separate 100 gallon tank with 100 gallons per attorney

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not sure there's any 'rule' of how long to leave a tang apart. I also have 3 tangs in a 125 gallon tank - that do fine together. It seems to me its more of an individual issue. I would try to re-arrange (if you can) the rock work, and you can also try the mirror.

I would think 3 days in solitary should be enough - especially if you do some of the other techniques. Good luck with the fish.

PS - a little 'fighting' is not necessarily 'bad' on the short term. Damage - or constant chasing is. Making sure you have adequate hiding places is also important. When I have chosen to remove a fish due to aggression - is when the fish is literally up in the corner - and every time it moves its attacked. Usually these things work out positively over a couple days.

EDIT: of course 2 fully adult tangs are not going to do 'the best' in a 100 gallon tank. I'm assuming they are 'small'

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First get a sense of humour
If you think that's humorous, I don't know...
Second You cant help that situation no matter what you do those are 2 large of tangs to put in 100 gallon tank there will always be problems with aggression. Besides the fact there are 2 large tangs in this system he mentioned there are other tangs as well who knows how many?

So yes Tell me how you can help keep a sailfin and powder blue be best friends in 100 gallon system . I am very curious if your magic mirror can fix this problem LOL good luck
What are you talking about? Did you read what I wrote above?
It's likely they just won't tolerate each other.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back