How long till fish clears up in hyposalinity?

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in another forum with not much activity. So I'm gonna try here...

Pretty much self explanatory. I'm having a bout with ich and decided to do hypo. I have a couple fish, one being an emperor snapper that still looks to have the cysts on it but not as much. Full disclosure, I've been dropping my salinity for 3 or 4 days now and just yesterday morning did I truly reach hypo (1.009, 1.008).

The snapper is the one I'm keeping an eye on since he seems to be more affected than the triggers and wrasses. Last night he was still lethargic and not really eating. But today after work I stopped and got some feeder minnows. Just walking by the tank I can already kind of see he was more active and receptive to me be around. He completely merc'ed 5 or 6 live minnows with no hesitation.

So how long till I should start seeing his skin clearing up and looking more normal? Is it going to take another cycle or 2 for the ich to completely disappear and for a the cysts to drop?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this in another forum with not much activity. So I'm gonna try here...

Pretty much self explanatory. I'm having a bout with ich and decided to do hypo. I have a couple fish, one being an emperor snapper that still looks to have the cysts on it but not as much. Full disclosure, I've been dropping my salinity for 3 or 4 days now and just yesterday morning did I truly reach hypo (1.009, 1.008).

The snapper is the one I'm keeping an eye on since he seems to be more affected than the triggers and wrasses. Last night he was still lethargic and not really eating. But today after work I stopped and got some feeder minnows. Just walking by the tank I can already kind of see he was more active and receptive to me be around. He completely merc'ed 5 or 6 live minnows with no hesitation.

So how long till I should start seeing his skin clearing up and looking more normal? Is it going to take another cycle or 2 for the ich to completely disappear and for a the cysts to drop?

Generally, 3 days after you hit full hypo, you should stop seeing active trophonts on the fish (you might still see some scars, especially on darker fish). I continue hypo for 30 days beyond when I last saw spots.

Jay

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, 3 days after you hit full hypo, you should stop seeing active trophonts on the fish (you might still see some scars, especially on darker fish). I continue hypo for 30 days beyond when I last saw spots.

Jay
Thanks. Exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back