How long to acclimage scopas tang

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just got a scopas tang from my lfs and I am currently drip acclimating it to 1.025 salinity. I notice the pet stores salinity is only 1.018. How long should i acclimate him for?

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually take about a half hour to 30 min. I float the bag for 15 min, then get a cup and pour small amount of water to the bag for the next 15 - 20 minutes. Should be good after that.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT or parasite treatment at least methylene blue or Safety Stop, tangs are notorious for carrying internal parasites just something to consider when adding to your tank.. For the drip acclimation when the salinity is that off from my own tank (1.026), I will normally drip acclimate for a about 1 hour and test the salinity along the way. This also allows for you to monitor the fish and let the current tank fish also acclimate to their new tank mate. I also keep the lights low to reduce shock.

Keep us posted! Let's see a pic :)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT or parasite treatment at least methylene blue or Safety Stop, tangs are notorious for carrying internal parasites just something to consider when adding to your tank.. For the drip acclimation when the salinity is that off from my own tank (1.026), I will normally drip acclimate for a about 1 hour and test the salinity along the way. This also allows for you to monitor the fish and let the current tank fish also acclimate to their new tank mate. I also keep the lights low to reduce shock.

Keep us posted! Let's see a pic :)
Did you say dont quarentine it? He is currently in a quarentine tank and i was going to use copper power. He's a little camera shy right now so this is the best pic haha
I drip acclimated him for an hour due to the big salinity gap. I'm not horribly worried about diseases because it was at the lfs for 5 weeks.
20200811_162656.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Did you say dont quarentine it? He is currently in a quarentine tank and i was going to use copper power. He's a little camera shy right now so this is the best pic haha

20200811_162656.jpg

I think they are saying if you don't QT then do one of... There is always a debate about QT, isolation, or acclimation and introduction into the display. i was going to reply the amount of time but it looks like you got it sorted out.

I'm in the camp that doesn't QT but as noted above in another reply i always do a fresh water dip or bath (they are different at 15 minutes vs 30 minutes) with methylene blue per Bob Fenner's instructions. I believe all in all it is about a 30 to 45 minute acclimation and bathing process before it ends up in its home. However, you are good based on what you said above.

Scopas tangs are really under rated. Beautiful fish with some really striking colors. If you have the setup and can grow real macro algae for it to eat you will see even better coloration. Both my former lavender and current scopas tang loves Gracilaria parvispora algae when I can grow it. Really pronounces the black and tan of the tang.

Anyway looks like you are off to a great start. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are saying if you don't QT then do one of... There is always a debate about QT, isolation, or acclimation and introduction into the display. i was going to reply the amount of time but it looks like you got it sorted out.

I'm in the camp that doesn't QT but as noted above in another reply i always do a fresh water dip or bath (they are different at 15 minutes vs 30 minutes) with methylene blue per Bob Fenner's instructions. I believe all in all it is about a 30 to 45 minute acclimation and bathing process before it ends up in its home. However, you are good based on what you said above.

Scopas tangs are really under rated. Beautiful fish with some really striking colors. If you have the setup and can grow real macro algae for it to eat you will see even better coloration. Both my former lavender and current scopas tang loves Gracilaria parvispora algae when I can grow it. Really pronounces the black and tan of the tang.

Anyway looks like you are off to a great start. Best of luck!
Thank you! I am super excited to keep this guy!
Only thing i really need a tip on is using copper power. How much ppm should I add per day?
Will 30 day qt work? This is my first time quarentining I decided to start after a velvet outbreak that killed all my fish a few months back

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you! I am super excited to keep this guy!
Only thing i really need a tip on is using copper power. How much ppm should I add per day?
Will 30 day qt work? This is my first time quarentining I decided to start after a velvet outbreak that killed all my fish a few months back

I have to pass on the copper. I do not have any experience with it. You will get some good replies here I'm sure.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimated him for an hour due to the big salinity gap. I'm not horribly worried about diseases because it was at the lfs for 5 weeks.
20200811_162656.jpg
I meant to say "You aren't planning on QT'ing?" lol but you're doing it so there is that... How long are you going to QT? If you trust your LFS in their QT practice then an hour drip should be enough. I'd normally check the salinity of the water before adding...

In my opinion though LFS don't always have the "best" practices when it comes to QT and normally they flip a majority of their fish. It's been my experience that even the stores that mark things as QT'd typically haven't QT'd the appropriate amount of time (which is another topic all together)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say "You aren't planning on QT'ing?" lol but you're doing it so there is that... How long are you going to QT? If you trust the LFS help in their QT practice then an hour drip should be enough. I'd normally check the salinity of the water before adding...

giphy.gif
I dont trust my lfs lol it came out of a tank labeled "contains cupramine" buuut 9 months ago all their tangs had velvet and died. I actually had to help them identify it

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, for future reference if the sg is that different and you are using a qt tank, it's much better to reduce the sg in the qt tank than try to raise the sg in the fish bag (works beSt wit online purchases as well). Fish are generally fine with a quick drop in sg but going up is much harder on the body and is best done over a period of several days. A 0.002 increase per day is recommended if you are being cautious.

The scopas is possibly the most underrated fish in the hobby imo. They really have a hidden beauty unless you study the delicate spotting around their face. Good luck.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start, I also added one of "mine" yesterday that my lfs has been holding with another that I own for a couple of months.
"Mine" = someone swapped my baby fish, due to damage I grabbed it but once in my tank it is obviously a different fish, they are investigating!
I have four scopas tangs now, three brown and a yellow so I am setting up a home for the smaller two brown ones.
As above fresh macro is the key to good health, mine love caulerpa brachypus.

DSC_0003 (1024x782) (2).jpg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great start, I also added one of "mine" yesterday that my lfs has been holding with another that I own for a couple of months.
"Mine" = someone swapped my baby fish, due to damage I grabbed it but once in my tank it is obviously a different fish, they are investigating!
I have four scopas tangs now, three brown and a yellow so I am setting up a home for the smaller two brown ones.
As above fresh macro is the key to good health, mine love caulerpa brachypus.

DSC_0003 (1024x782) (2).jpg
I would not accept anything less than a free replacement for the fish your actually paid for

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too late this time around, but if you are using a QT tank, next time lower it to 1.018 so you can skip the drip acclimation completely. Then you can bring the QT back up to 1.025 over the course of a few days. Best practice in my view. I don't personally treat prophylactically, preferring a 4-6 week period of observation.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too late this time around, but if you are using a QT tank, next time lower it to 1.018 so you can skip the drip acclimation completely. Then you can bring the QT back up to 1.025 over the course of a few days. Best practice in my view. I don't personally treat prophylactically, preferring a 4-6 week period of observation.
Great tip! Thank you. I'm probably going to lower my salinity next time because now I know my lfs keeps a low sg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back