How long to cycle dry rock?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add dry Marco rock double flats to a 3 year old(525xl) reef but don't want to cause a cycle. How would I do this properly to ensure no cycle is caused in the DT and no access phos and nitrate? Thank you!

Looking to add about 20lbs (big double flats)

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will have any problems with that rock since its not "dead" rock. However, if you are concerned then you can put it in a bucket or what not with a heater and pump and see if you get ammonia and phosphate in the bucket water. If so, just get some bacteria and keep it in there for a little.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will have any problems with that rock since its not "dead" rock. However, if you are concerned then you can put it in a bucket or what not with a heater and pump and see if you get ammonia and phosphate in the bucket water. If so, just get some bacteria and keep it in there for a little.

Ah okay aswell how long would i need to?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay aswell how long would i need to?

Until you stop getting ammonia or phosphate rising. But like I said, I think you are fine. If you want to put it in the tank right away and are still having a little doubt, you can always get a little prime and put it in the water (makes ammonia non toxic for a period of time) (or bacteria).

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until you stop getting ammonia or phosphate rising. But like I said, I think you are fine. If you want to put it in the tank right away and are still having a little doubt, you can always get a little prime and put it in the water (makes ammonia non toxic for a period of time) (or bacteria).

What about marco premium shelf rock? Is that fine aswell?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco rock is all the same. Dry with no nutrients bound to it unless it has been in someones tank or the ocean. Stax rock is the same, Marco shelf that fell apart while being cut.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back