How long to dose dinoX

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I engaged in a multimonth (almost multiyear) battle with dinos, ostreopsis to be specific. Finally managed to get my phosphates up, UV finally took a huge bite out of them, but there were still some left hanging around. Finally used dinoX and reduced the photo period.

After the first dose I saw a huge reduction in dinos, like 95+% gone. After the second dose I could only find them with a microscope, and their numbers were significantly reduced. I've done 5 doses so far, filter socks are no longer clogging in a day, I don't see any dinos anywhere without a microscope, phosphates have finally risen and some micro and macro algae is growing.

Should I continue dosing dinoX? The online manual says it normally takes 10 doses to eradicate them, but they appear licked. I'm thinking I should stop with dinoX, return my photoperiod to normal and watch my nutrients. But I'm not sure what the prevailing wisdom is for how many doses is the minimum.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would follow the directions, complete the dosing. then slowly ramp stuff back up. microscopic stuff can hide anywhere, and the second the lights come back if not completely gone or being out competed they will bounce back

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would follow the directions, complete the dosing. then slowly ramp stuff back up. microscopic stuff can hide anywhere, and the second the lights come back if not completely gone or being out competed they will bounce back

That's why I was asking. The instructions don't include a prescribed time, just:

Dose every 2 days until the algae has gone but not more than 21 days at a time. Usually dinoflagellates with 10, other algae approx.with 15 dosing cycles removed

Wasn't sure if I should quit because the dinos are gone, or wait for the 10 doses.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 10 doses. It looked great after the first 5/6, but I wanted to be sure they were gone. I did get some cyano about a week after and got rid of that with Re-Fresh and Waste away.

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 10 doses. It looked great after the first 5/6, but I wanted to be sure they were gone. I did get some cyano about a week after and got rid of that with Re-Fresh and Waste away.
Thanks! That's what I'll do then.

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it looking now after a few more doses?

Tank looks better than it ever has before. Continued with the dosing of dinox, reduced photoperiod, UV in display exiting into filter sock, still been changing sump filter socks every other day, and dosing nitrates and phosphates.

Tank looks amazing. Some of the algae that started to grow out before during the just prior to dinox is largely gone. Chaeto in the stump has gone nuts with growth (dinox says to remove it, but I didn't). Corals are out a lot more and I see a lot more activity from my CUC, especially bristle worms at night. I'm actually seeing new growth on my torch that I was sure was a goner.

Super happy with everything so far. Will complete the 10 doses and slowly bring back the lighting.

I did have to reduce phosphates and nitrate dosing. Hovering around 0.08 PO4 and 12 Nitrates.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back