how long to take to ramp wrasse to 2.5ppm copper?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus wrasse and leopard wrasse just purchased today. How long should it take to ramp copper?

@Jay Hemdal

Sorry for the delay - for some reason, your post didn't show up in my feed.

What copper product are you using?

For delicate fish like leopard wrasse, that aren't showing any active disease symptoms, I'll let them settle in for 72 hours, then add Coppersafe in two doses, a few hours apart, just to check the dose by testing after the first half dose. Copper Power is similar. It works like this: calculate the full dose of copper for the exact volume of the QT. Double check the math. Add one half of that calculated dose. Wait a few hours and test for copper. You should be at 1/2 the full dose. If so, add the second half dose, wait a few hours an confirm with another test. If the first test is NOT at half the level (either low or high) stop and figure out where the problem is: tank volume off, math error, or test kit error.

If the fish have signs of protozoan disease, I'll begin the copper sooner, after 24 hours. For Cupramine, I err on the side of caution and raise it over 24 hours or so. For copper/citric acid, I raise it over 48 hours.

I'm not a big fan of leopard wrasse. Their mortality rate over the first 40 days is so high, that I try to discourage people from buying them. Trouble is, I take my own advice and don't buy them either, so if collectors/shippers start handling them better and the mortality rate improves, I'll never know (grin).

Here is the common scenario: person buys a Macropharyngodon wrasse and puts it into copper. The wrasse dies in a week or three and the person says, yep - copper toxicity! Trouble is, that may not be the case at all.

Jay

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay - for some reason, your post didn't show up in my feed.

What copper product are you using?

For delicate fish like leopard wrasse, that aren't showing any active disease symptoms, I'll let them settle in for 72 hours, then add Coppersafe in two doses, a few hours apart, just to check the dose by testing after the first half dose. Copper Power is similar. It works like this: calculate the full dose of copper for the exact volume of the QT. Double check the math. Add one half of that calculated dose. Wait a few hours and test for copper. You should be at 1/2 the full dose. If so, add the second half dose, wait a few hours an confirm with another test. If the first test is NOT at half the level (either low or high) stop and figure out where the problem is: tank volume off, math error, or test kit error.

If the fish have signs of protozoan disease, I'll begin the copper sooner, after 24 hours. For Cupramine, I err on the side of caution and raise it over 24 hours or so. For copper/citric acid, I raise it over 48 hours.

I'm not a big fan of leopard wrasse. Their mortality rate over the first 40 days is so high, that I try to discourage people from buying them. Trouble is, I take my own advice and don't buy them either, so if collectors/shippers start handling them better and the mortality rate improves, I'll never know (grin).

Here is the common scenario: person buys a Macropharyngodon wrasse and puts it into copper. The wrasse dies in a week or three and the person says, yep - copper toxicity! Trouble is, that may not be the case at all.

Jay
Thank you for this information! I will follow your instructions!

I’m going to feed frequently in case. It’s eating my live blackworms well. Plus the spirulina mysis.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back