How long to wait after copper before CP?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a new porcupine fish from the LFS. I was told at checkout that he hadn't eaten (he was only there for 2 days), then they told me he was being kept in 1.75ppm copper power which bummed me out.

I knew he wasn't eating because of the copper. Either way, I put him in a clean QT at home and he was eating that night for me. I want to treat with CP, but I remember somewhere it was mentioned to wait after copper before CP. How long should I wait? I was going to wait 2 weeks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just purchased a new porcupine fish from the LFS. I was told at checkout that he hadn't eaten (he was only there for 2 days), then they told me he was being kept in 1.75ppm copper power which bummed me out.

I knew he wasn't eating because of the copper. Either way, I put him in a clean QT at home and he was eating that night for me. I want to treat with CP, but I remember somewhere it was mentioned to wait after copper before CP. How long should I wait? I was going to wait 2 weeks.
Because you were Not using the copperpower at the store level or at all, You can add Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during QT using an air stone.
other option would be hyposalinity. As for not eating, try live ghost shrimp or a couple guppies to entice it but do not make this a diet

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you were Not using the copperpower at the store level or at all, You can add Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.0-2.25 For a FULL 30 days monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during QT using an air stone.
other option would be hyposalinity. As for not eating, try live ghost shrimp or a couple guppies to entice it but do not make this a diet
Did you read my post before responding?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My question was how long to wait after being in copper before I should use Chloroquine Phosphate. I don't like using copper, especially on puffers.
I see where the confusion came in, I took CP as copper Power which many use this abbreviation for. Now were on the same abbreviation, Id wait 7-10 days then dose at 50mg per gallon for a 30 day period.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where the confusion came in, I took CP as copper Power which many use this abbreviation for. Now were on the same abbreviation, Id wait 7-10 days then dose at 50mg per gallon for a 30 day period.
I'll be sure to be more specific. That's what I was thinking as well. It was a low dose and it was only 2 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use coppersafe on porcupines up to 2.5 ppm with no issues at all. This species often refused to feed when first captured, it isn't the copper. What foods have you tried on it?

CP is a bit more risky that copper power, but if you go that route, copper has no real residual effect, so if you reduce the copper power to < 0.25 ppm, you can start up the CP right away. I would not dose the CP higher than 12 mg/l for this species. You'll also want to follow that with praziquantel to handle any flukes.

One of my primary rules is: don't buy a fish unless you see it eating. Too many issues start with the first symptom of the fish not eating.....

Jay

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coppersafe on porcupines up to 2.5 ppm with no issues at all. This species often refused to feed when first captured, it isn't the copper. What foods have you tried on it?

CP is a bit more risky that copper power, but if you go that route, copper has no real residual effect, so if you reduce the copper power to < 0.25 ppm, you can start up the CP right away. I would not dose the CP higher than 12 mg/l for this species. You'll also want to follow that with praziquantel to handle any flukes.

One of my primary rules is: don't buy a fish unless you see it eating. Too many issues start with the first symptom of the fish not eating.....

Jay
In my post, I said it started eating the night I brought it home and put it in clean water. I have had porcupines eating in the bag when acclimating. He seemed alert in the tank and followed my finger, so I wasn't too concerned. I have alot of experience with porcupines.

I've treated porcupines with CP before and they seem unfazed. 50mg/gal and it cured an active velvet outbreak. I treat with GC afterwards or during.

I'm not sure why so many people are negative on Chloroquine Phosphate all of a sudden. It's has always worked for me and seems safer and better than copper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my post, I said it started eating the night I brought it home and put it in clean water. I have had porcupines eating in the bag when acclimating. He seemed alert in the tank and followed my finger, so I wasn't too concerned. I have alot of experience with porcupines.

I've treated porcupines with CP before and they seem unfazed. 50mg/gal and it cured an active velvet outbreak. I treat with GC afterwards or during.

I'm not sure why so many people are negative on Chloroquine Phosphate all of a sudden. It's has always worked for me and seems safer and better than copper.
I stopped using chloroquine back in 2015 due to continued toxicity issues in some species that I couldn’t predict. I was using it at 15 to 20 mg/l because I wasn’t getting good control at 12 mg/l.
Here is an article I wrote while I was still using it:

Ionic copper can be an issue for puffers, but not the amine based products.

Jay

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using chloroquine back in 2015 due to continued toxicity issues in some species that I couldn’t predict. I was using it at 15 to 20 mg/l because I wasn’t getting good control at 12 mg/l.
Here is an article I wrote while I was still using it:

Ionic copper can be an issue for puffers, but not the amine based products.

Jay
I've read your paper several times. It's very well written, and also seems very positive towards Chloroquine.

As you know, 15-20mg/l is towards the upper end of the acceptable dose. I've never had issues with 10-12.5mg/l. Every anecdotal report that I have read shows that 80mg/gal causes toxicity issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back