How long to wait after Kanaplex?

learn2reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 doses of Kanaplex to treat an eye infection on a foxface; how long should I keep it in quarantine?

It was only one eye which seems cleared up Now. There may be a scratch on the eye which might have been the source of infection. I did a 30% water change and put carbon back in my tetra filter bag.

Thanks!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 doses of Kanaplex to treat an eye infection on a foxface; how long should I keep it in quarantine?

It was only one eye which seems cleared up Now. There may be a scratch on the eye which might have been the source of infection. I did a 30% water change and put carbon back in my tetra filter bag.

Thanks!
There’s dosing instructions on the package (or maybe website) with dosing cyles, I recommend going through a full treatment course to prevent reinfection risk

OP
OP
L

learn2reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s dosing instructions on the package (or maybe website) with dosing cyles, I recommend going through a full treatment course to prevent reinfection risk
I might not have been clear. Package direction says you can do three back to back treatments. So I did that ( 3 doses). I’ve done the max recommended treatment. Now what? The direction only say “readily removable with carbon”, but doesn’t give a number of days to wait.

How long do I have to wait before putting fish back in display?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might not have been clear. Package direction says you can do three back to back treatments. So I did that ( 3 doses). I’ve done the max recommended treatment. Now what? The direction only say “readily removable with carbon”, but doesn’t give a number of days to wait.

How long do I have to wait before putting fish back in display?
Use 1 level measure (included) to every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat every 2 days until symptoms disappear or up to a maximum of 3 doses

your not supposed to dose all 3 at once, a maximum of 3 doses over 6 days

OP
OP
L

learn2reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use 1 level measure (included) to every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat every 2 days until symptoms disappear or up to a maximum of 3 doses

your not supposed to dose all 3 at once, a maximum of 3 doses over 6 days
I did exactly as the directions stated. I am just trying to determine how long should I wait until I put the fish back in the display tank?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly as the directions stated. I am just trying to determine how long should I wait until I put the fish back in the display tank?
does the fish have symptoms or any sign of infection? if so, add carbon, do frequent water changes and wait 4-6 days before restarting treatment

OP
OP
L

learn2reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the fish have symptoms or any sign of infection? if so, add carbon, do frequent water changes and wait 4-6 days before restarting treatment
Ok, thanks! So I’ll wait 4-6 days running carbon, and water changes, and if he looks good, I’ll put him back in the display. If he still looks infected, treat again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once clarity has shown

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks! So I’ll wait 4-6 days running carbon, and water changes, and if he looks good, I’ll put him back in the display. If he still looks infected, treat again.
Good idea! It can mess with biofilter a little, but its not super common, just in case a daily param check cannot hurt if you are up for it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My typical policy is to wait at least 14 days beyond the date the symptoms went away before moving the fish back to a DT. This is primarily in response to infective diseases, but would also be a benefit for eye problems (that are most often caused by trauma). You don't want the fish to reinjure its eye when catching it up, and the tissue may still be a bit thin over the eye.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back