How long will the hitchhiker last?

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ready and today I get to bring home my peacock mantis. I purchased some small pieces of live rock for her to move around and we saw a hitchhiker scoot away after the lights dimmed - we have a stomatella snail.

So, how long do you think it’ll last. We have some blue legged hermits and snails in there for Calypso to eat as her welcome home gift. Will she eat the easy stuff first and then go for the ninja snail? I was going to create a fun poll to see everyone’s thoughts, but I don’t know how to do it. Lol ... lets have some fun!

Calypso in her new home photos coming soon!
9EE7CD7C-B6E7-4B27-BC06-0A6D7E918F95.jpeg B0245EBC-9465-48BF-97D2-B4647A06366A.png

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on how hungry you let your new friend get.

Mine was so lazy that it died of starvation I swear. I had hermits and snails in the tank, left for vacation, died before I got home 2 weeks later. I had been feeding it by tweezers and it ate that up every time.

I hope yours likes to hunt!

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got stomatellas everywhere in the nano reefs… every color you can think of… even solid black. I place what I catch in the fowlr and my trigger devours them in no time. Win-win! I get a cuc in the reef tank that turns into free fish food when it gets outta control

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ended up getting harassed to death by my a couple blue leg hermit crabs that my mantis shrimp wasn’t interested in eating. Since then a tiny pinky nail sized one has shown up and I’m enjoying watching it appear here and there. Have since relocated the hermits. I’m not a fan of them. And neither was the mantis shrimp

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on how hungry you let your new friend get.

Mine was so lazy that it died of starvation I swear. I had hermits and snails in the tank, left for vacation, died before I got home 2 weeks later. I had been feeding it by tweezers and it ate that up every time.

I hope yours likes to hunt!
Mine did love to hunt. Mine died while we were away for a funeral. No clue what happened.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back