How long would coral be okay in bags/bucket?

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys! This is my first post here, and I figured this would be the most helpful place. This weekend, I am going out of town (around 3 hours away from where I live). As it so happens, the place I am going has an amazing fish store with a much, much better selection than any store near me at home. Every time I visit, I go by this store to get more coral. I was planning on doing the same thing this weekend, but discovered a problem.

My plan was to go to the store on Saturday to see what they had and put the coral I wanted on hold so that the next day, on my way home, I could pick them up and pay for them. This plan usually works fine, but this weekend, I have to leave on Sunday before the store opens. So I will have to buy them on Saturday, but they would not be home and in my tank until Sunday morning (probably around 9AM or so).

I assume the coral would not do well 12 hours in the bag they come in. Would it work if I brought along a bucket of water from home to have them in overnight? I could bag them again the morning that I leave to go home, but just for the night, I was wondering if this would be an okay thing to do.

Thank you so much for any help, I really appreciate it! I have been looking forward to getting to go to this store for a while now (I've set aside a decent chunk of change to buy coral there), so I hope it works out.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved from Colorado to California I had my coral in bags for a 16 hr drive. Counting the time it took to break the tank down and set it up too(maybe 18-19hrs). They all made it (anemones, lps) but I’m guessing they had a tiny amount of movement with the car going and stopping. Just th

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No different than shipping corals next day. As long as temperature is stable and at desired range, softies and LPS will do fine. You can ask the store to put in extra water in the bag.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First welcome to R2R!

Second corals are shipped for a couple of days, tossed around by the delivery guys. Have LFS add extra water and oxygen, be gentle with the coral bags, and you will be good for 36 to 48 hours.

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First welcome to R2R!

Second corals are shipped for a couple of days, tossed around by the delivery guys. Have LFS add extra water and oxygen, be gentle with the coral bags, and you will be good for 36 to 48 hours.
Okay!! Thank you so much. Would SPS not be okay?

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved from Colorado to California I had my coral in bags for a 16 hr drive. Counting the time it took to break the tank down and set it up too(maybe 18-19hrs). They all made it (anemones, lps) but I’m guessing they had a tiny amount of movement with the car going and stopping. Just th
Okay, good to know! Thank you.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others stated, have the store put extra water and air and then put the bags in a cooler. You can put a heat or cold pack in if it’s going to be in over 85° or under 70° for a long period of time (put some newspaper on top of the bags and put the heating/cooling on top of that).

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the store your going to, but most LFS owners are at the store way more than posted hours.

It doesn't hurt to reach out and ask if you could pickup prior to open on Sunday. It sounds like you were leaving early on Sunday, so I don't know how late you can swing your exit and how close to that the store opens, but it may be worth a shot. Especially if they open at say noon and you can leave as late as 10/11. Then you may be able to grab them on your way out.

If you can't swing that they will be fine in the bags as others posted. Just keep the temp stable!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the store your going to, but most LFS owners are at the store way more than posted hours.

It doesn't hurt to reach out and ask if you could pickup prior to open on Sunday. It sounds like you were leaving early on Sunday, so I don't know how late you can swing your exit and how close to that the store opens, but it may be worth a shot. Especially if they open at say noon and you can leave as late as 10/11. Then you may be able to grab them on your way out.

If you can't swing that they will be fine in the bags as others posted. Just keep the temp stable!
Great idea!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
easy 24hrs and as much as 48hrs as long as water is aerated or maintained with clean water and good temperature

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah unfortunately they open at 12 on Sunday, and I’ve got to be out by 6 or 7…. Really stinks, but these comments have given me encouragement!!!!

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so encouraging!! Thanks!

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others stated, have the store put extra water and air and then put the bags in a cooler. You can put a heat or cold pack in if it’s going to be in over 85° or under 70° for a long period of time (put some newspaper on top of the bags and put the heating/cooling on top of that).
Good thinking. I’ll have to bring a cooler along with me!!

OP
OP
r.reefer

r.reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No different than shipping corals next day. As long as temperature is stable and at desired range, softies and LPS will do fine. You can ask the store to put in extra water in the bag.
Sounds good, thank you very much

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back