How loud is your Apex Doser?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my Doser setup and dang its loud. A buddy of mine said his is silent, so i'm asking how loud others are?

Mine is in my fish room in my basement. It has a noticeable hum from upstairs when its running even with our TV on its noticeable. Enough that my wife and kids have all commented about it. The ceiling between the rooms is not insulated and we have hardwood floors, so there is minimal noise barrier. I did not expect this and am considering calling Neptune and asking about it.

Any feedback is appreciated

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean DOS yes it’s loud

I use it for automatic water changes and there done when nobody is around as it’s very annoying. Mine are housed in a shed outside but I can still just hear them whining away.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, my AWC DOS is audible from basement, but slightly expected with the stepper drivers they use. This is why i run the AWC during the day, and not at night (which also speeds it up more, and makes it louder). The other DOS for Alk and Ca is not noticeable (since its not doing much).

I sent a note to Neptune about changing the drivers for the stepper motors, which would make them literally silent at any operation/speed and it wouldnt add much to the build overhead, but i havent seen/heard anything come from that.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not horrible, mine are in a closet behind the tank and the living room on the other side of the closet. I only use it for doseing so that could be the difference.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know. I almost purchased a DOS last week but began questioning whether this was more important than an ATO. The answer is not yet. For future reference, which dosers would anyone recommend if noise level is a concern?

dandra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL dosers are a little pricey, but very quiet and reliable.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good to know. I almost purchased a DOS last week but began questioning whether this was more important than an ATO. The answer is not yet. For future reference, which dosers would anyone recommend if noise level is a concern?

Cheaper option, a lot of people use them, check out the Jebao Dosing pump. Pain in the butt with first time programming (check out YouTube for help if needed). Thats what i started with.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheaper option, a lot of people use them, check out the Jebao Dosing pump. Pain in the butt with first time programming (check out YouTube for help if needed). Thats what i started with.
Pain in the butt programming? LOL. If you've followed any of my posts you'll quickly determine I'm a tech idiot. I think I might be at the point where a hammer needs an instruction manual, with pictures, for me to use it properly. Since I'm setting myself up to rely on it anyway I might just as well get one and go through the process of setting it up.

Forum members be warned, I'll start the public whining at the first hint of trouble.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doser Maxi's are a fair bit quieter than the DOS, and they share the same style OEM head. The doser 2.1's can't really be compared to the dos, for one they are basically completely silent on normal dosing levels (1), and 2, they have a different roller movement mechanism.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine is fairly quiet

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using mine for two part dosing, mine is in tank stand and I can just barely here it when it doses with nothing else on in living room.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loud, but I use mine for water changes and run from 12 am to 7 am so usually not noticed

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience using the DOS is -

It is very loud when running at maximum and even when dosing, you can certainly hear it and levels which are annoying. Mine is in a sound proof(ish) cabinet and even at the lowest speed, I can hear it. The other negative point on the DOS is that it is way too expensive for a device that only has 2 heads.

On the positive side, it is insanely accurate and every time I calibrate it, it hardly looses its calibration.

Hope that helps.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one for 2 part and it's in a separate room in a closet. I can still hear it kick on. Not annoyingly loud, but just an audible hum.

If using one for AWC and faster speeds, you will most definitely hear it no matter where you place in in your home. This is the only reason I'm considering the Versa for AWC and not the DOS.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one for 2 part and it's in a separate room in a closet. I can still hear it kick on. Not annoyingly loud, but just an audible hum.

If using one for AWC and faster speeds, you will most definitely hear it no matter where you place in in your home. This is the only reason I'm considering the Versa for AWC and not the DOS.

I have not heard the noise coming from a Versa. Are they much better in this regard?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back