How many 3-4 inch fish can I have in a 55 gallon

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a protein skimmer?
I used to have a big skimmer when I kept seahorses in this tank. However, with my ornamental macro algae, I do not want the water column stripped of so many nutrients so I took it off line to see how the tank would do without it and it did great. Yes, my nitrates run high (25-30 ppm) and phosphates are in the .2 - .5ppm range but I do not have nuisance algae so the high nutrients work for me.
I doubt my tank would grow acros very well but I am a softie/LPS gal so it's fine. I hate testing parameters so watching alk, calcium and magnesium would detract from my enjoyment, and those need to be monitored to grow acros.
I guess I have tailored my tank to suit me.

Upvote 0

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a big skimmer when I kept seahorses in this tank. However, with my ornamental macro algae, I do not want the water column stripped of so many nutrients so I took it off line to see how the tank would do without it and it did great. Yes, my nitrates run high (25-30 ppm) and phosphates are in the .2 - .5ppm range but I do not have nuisance algae so the high nutrients work for me.
I doubt my tank would grow acros very well but I am a softie/LPS gal so it's fine. I hate testing parameters so watching alk, calcium and magnesium would detract from my enjoyment, and those need to be monitored to grow acros.
I guess I have tailored my tank to suit me.
WWC runs similar nitrates. Seems that SPS requirements might be to restructure because of the internet. I’m not going to let the internet tell me I can’t do something. Once I solve my ph issue.

BTW, have you considered allowing more macro algae or running a separate refugium to supplement the display?

Upvote 0

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC runs similar nitrates. Seems that SPS requirements might be to restructure because of the internet. I’m not going to let the internet tell me I can’t do something. Once I solve my ph issue.

BTW, have you considered allowing more macro algae or running a separate refugium to supplement the display?
Actually, I do have a 30 gallon refugium in my basement where I throw all my pruned macros from the display. I hate just discarding them, LOL!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I do have a 30 gallon refugium in my basement where I throw all my pruned macros from the display. I hate just discarding them, LOL!
Do you think a hob refugium would do anything or it would do so little theres no point in having one? i dont have a space under my tank for a sump so hob is my only option.

Upvote 0

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filtration would i need for all the fish i want? Right now i only have a protein skimmer and a hob filter
Is your tank a standard 55? Hob filters can work. Which HOB did you get? I’d run 2 Hob rated for 55 gallons.

Is your tank up and running yet? Just add the fish slowly. I like waiting a few months in between additions. Provide plenty of good hiding/sleeping spots in the rock scape.

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A HOB refugium can house some chaeto and provide a place for pods to grow, so it's good for nutrient lowering and snack production, but don't expect anything huge.

Upvote 0

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a hob refugium would do anything or it would do so little theres no point in having one? i dont have a space under my tank for a sump so hob is my only option.
I think there is some benefit to a hob fuge. The macro algae can still take up nutrients plus pods can live and propagate there. It won't add much to the water volume but that's not the only benefit of a fuge. I would do a hob as opposed to not having a fuge.

Upvote 0
Back