How many clownfish can we add to new 210 gallon?

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's our question. We are putting together a new 210 gallon reef tank. We know the general rule that you should not have more than 2 clowns in one tank. Of course, that is merely a general rule that has obvious exceptions. For example, if the tank were 10,000 gallons, obviously there would be enough room for many more clowns. And then there's the BRS clown harem 120 gallon tank with 30 clowns. And also Melev's 11 orange skunk clowns in his 400 gallon.

We'd don't currently have any fish in the tank as it's doing its first cycle right now. We would like to have 3 anemones in the tank that host 3 different kinds of mated-pair clowns under a strong T5/LED hybrid.

If we add them all at the same time, would this be possible? Ideally we'd like 2 black clowns, 2 true perculas, and 2 Clarkiis or Two-bands.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's our question. We are putting together a new 210 gallon reef tank. We know the general rule that you should not have more than 2 clowns in one tank. Of course, that is merely a general rule that has obvious exceptions. For example, if the tank were 10,000 gallons, obviously there would be enough room for many more clowns. And then there's the BRS clown harem 120 gallon tank with 30 clowns. And also Melev's 11 orange skunk clowns in his 400 gallon.

We'd don't currently have any fish in the tank as it's doing its first cycle right now. We would like to have 3 anemones in the tank that host 3 different kinds of mated-pair clowns under a strong T5/LED hybrid.

If we add them all at the same time, would this be possible? Ideally we'd like 2 black clowns, 2 true perculas, and 2 Clarkiis or Two-bands.

What is the footprint of the tank?

@Amoo the resident clownfish and anemone expert :)

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response, ihavecrabs. My tank footprint is 72 x 24 x 29.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason the harem tanks work is because they are exactly that, harems. You will find a very very very few example of people being able to keep multiple pairs in the same tank for a period of time, but almost always eventually it ends poorly.

So yeah sure you might get away with it for a while, but once one pair starts or gets close to breeding, it's going to be lights out for the other clowns in the tank most likely.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black ocellaris and percs will be compatible in that size tank. Both species stay small and take up smaller territories. Clarkiis arenlarger and more aggressive, so it may not work out as well with them in the mix.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason the harem tanks work is because they are exactly that, harems. You will find a very very very few example of people being able to keep multiple pairs in the same tank for a period of time, but almost always eventually it ends poorly.

So yeah sure you might get away with it for a while, but once one pair starts or gets close to breeding, it's going to be lights out for the other clowns in the tank most likely.

This, Amoo knows!
The only way I'd do more than a pair is a harem from same clutch

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew a guy who had 2 pairs of ocillaris clowns in a 180, 72 by 24 by 24. The largest female decided that she owned the whole tank and harried the other pair regularly. It might have worked in a 12’ tank but not in a 6’.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black ocellaris and percs will be compatible in that size tank. Both species stay small and take up smaller territories. Clarkiis arenlarger and more aggressive, so it may not work out as well with them in the mix.

It took me 4 tries with perc and occy pairs in my 6' tank to get it to work and I had 3 nems spread across the tank. I only kept them together for about 6 months as I was able to return the occy pair to the original owner after his move. Either way it was extremely rocky the entire time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me 4 tries with perc and occy pairs in my 6' tank to get it to work and I had 3 nems spread across the tank. I only kept them together for about 6 months as I was able to return the occy pair to the original owner after his move. Either way it was extremely rocky the entire time.
I have multiple clown prs going on in a handful of tanks currently and they have been together for a few years. With some of the prs laying eggs every couple of weeks, in tanks ranging from 4-6'. Pretty much every time I try multiple prs it works out, regardless of whether there are anemones or not. Though I usually stick with specific species.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple clown prs going on in a handful of tanks currently and they have been together for a few years. With some of the prs laying eggs every couple of weeks, in tanks ranging from 4-6'. Pretty much every time I try multiple prs it works out, regardless of whether there are anemones or not. Though I usually stick with specific species.

One of my favorite sayings is, "a blip is not a trend". I have never at any timed claimed it couldn't be done and there weren't exceptions. But for a new reefer or even a reefer new to clowns in general, I would say the "trend" much more favors it not working than it favors it working.

Like somebody already mentioned anything out of the clarkii complex is a poor candidate for this type of situation. So when I see a post asking questions like in the OP, I think it's safe to make the assumption we're dealing with a newer clown owner and probably not a good candidate for trying this situation.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty rare that I ever see multiple pairs or even 3 clowns working, and even more so long term, and that really is the key term, it could be a couple years for clowns to mature and spawn, that seems to be when the most dramatic change happens most, but sometimes well before that.
I'm also not sure how many step up and admit when it goes wrong later down the road either, which also adds to the conflicting advice or opinions.

There will always be someone that likes to post the exception to the rule as advice, and for the clowns sake I hope it continues to work for them, but I always wonder for how long.
It's a bad feeling when you get attached to your clowns and come home one day to beat up or dead clowns, it can totally change overnight just like that.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see it working with very young occys or percs for a year or two, maybe. Once they reach maturity and breeding age, they will start the great clownfish war.

I'm not talking one to two year old fish already at 2-3" in length you typically see for sale. These will be very small 1/2" fish around 6-8 months old.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite sayings is, "a blip is not a trend". I have never at any timed claimed it couldn't be done and there weren't exceptions. But for a new reefer or even a reefer new to clowns in general, I would say the "trend" much more favors it not working than it favors it working.

Like somebody already mentioned anything out of the clarkii complex is a poor candidate for this type of situation. So when I see a post asking questions like in the OP, I think it's safe to make the assumption we're dealing with a newer clown owner and probably not a good candidate for trying this situation.
I was the one that said clarkiis are not a good choice.

And I agree that a blip is not a trend, however my experiences with multiple clown prs is CONSISTENTLY SUCCESSFUL, now agreed that not all species are good candidates, and even with species that it does work, there are individuals that may be more aggressive that prevent it from working, but when I've had them together for years and some are breeding and still tolerating other clowns, and this is the clear cut majority of instances, than yes, I will say it is more than a blip.

Species I would NOT recommend for this include maroons, pink skunks, the entire tomato complex, and the entire clarkii complex.

Ones I have had success mixing in tanks smaller than the op's are perculas, occellaris and their variants, sandarcinos, sebaes. In most of those cases they host in corals not anemones, though that's not always the case.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was the one that said clarkiis are not a good choice.

And I agree that a blip is not a trend, however my experiences with multiple clown prs is CONSISTENTLY SUCCESSFUL, now agreed that not all species are good candidates, and even with species that it does work, there are individuals that may be more aggressive that prevent it from working, but when I've had them together for years and some are breeding and still tolerating other clowns, and this is the clear cut majority of instances, than yes, I will say it is more than a blip.

Species I would NOT recommend for this include maroons, pink skunks, the entire tomato complex, and the entire clarkii complex.

Ones I have had success mixing in tanks smaller than the op's are perculas, occellaris and their variants, sandarcinos, sebaes. In most of those cases they host in corals not anemones, though that's not always the case.
Have you ever mixed ocellaris with orange skunks and if so how did it go? Tia

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever mixed ocellaris with orange skunks and if so how did it go? Tia
Yes, I have mixed ocellaris with sandarcinos and it went well. I have found that orange skunks are one of the most reliable clowns to use an anemone, rarely straying far.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about to start my tank soon but I'm afraid to have an anemone due to them to detaching stinging everything around them and not being able to put other corals near them.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start my tank soon but I'm afraid to have an anemone due to them to detaching stinging everything around them and not being able to put other corals near them.
I personally am not a fan of anemones in a mixed reef. Clowns make do just fine without them in captivity.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You think I could keep two pairs of percs in a 5x2x2?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can we add several captive bred clowns together all at once to a reef? i am looking at 4 clown storm black for the new 225

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back