How Many Critters Can You Identify?

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaning some "oook" out of my tiny refugium tonight (IM 30L AIO tank) and thought I'd put a drop or three on a slide and check it under the microscope.

Looks like I've still got dinos but I haven't ID'd what kind they are yet. I haven't noticed them in the display in quite some time, but interesting to note they're still present.

I'm mostly interested in what the slug-looking fellow is (best viewed in the medium magnification video) and also the long, thin, two-segment guy at the top of the high-magnification video.

Let's hear your thoughts.

Bonus points if you can tell me what old TV show I have on the background.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice videos of who knows what microbial life you’ve got growing there? All I can think is that they do appear to be likely voters in the next election. I’m pretty certain other people will have a more specific ID for you but I thought I would get the conversation started.

Time For Bed Weekend GIF

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostracods; though there are roughly 70,000 species of them, so this hardly narrows it down. The vast majority, if not all, are beneficial, and play a key role in the marine ecosystem :)

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't really id any of this but I can see some maybe by type. I see a diatom, an amoeba, a predatory ciliate, maybe some multicell algae, maybe heterotrophic bacteria, and loads of scattered bacteria poo haha. If one could get some really clear pictures of how they eat, and what their insides look like that can help narrow down. Not a bacteria expert just know some things.

OP
OP
paparoof

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostracods; though there are roughly 70,000 species of them, so this hardly narrows it down. The vast majority, if not all, are beneficial, and play a key role in the marine ecosystem :)
So are the little round zoomy guys ostracods and not dinos?

OP
OP
paparoof

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was assuming they were dinos because I've had dinos in this tank before. Ostreopsis though, and these don't behave the same way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back