How many days to soak rocks in vinegar???

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to dissolve the outer layer of rock to quicken the organic removal i would do hours not days.

Honestly i would just soak in fw and empty each week. For a few weeks, after say week 3 start testing for nitrate and phosphate.

Could also do 1 week of bleach soaking to start.

When both are as close to 0 as possible start curing them in sw with bacteria and a food source.

Transporter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soaked all of my rock (from a severely neglected 180) in 50/50 vinegar/ro for one week, then soaked in 1:10 bleach/ro for 3 days, then straight ro for 2 weeks (while changing water out 50% every 3 or 4 days) then in a cure of salt water for 2 months. All of this was done with a power head in the containers.
Why ? Because there is not any 1 set/best/perfect way to do anything in this hobby, and that is what I decided was best. Maybe overkill, but I wanted to make sure nothing on the rock survived. And so far, it has worked well.
Just my $.02

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach, vinegar, either/or/both all good. (I just don't think muriatic acid is worth the trouble.)
I basically do it by feel, but typically is 24 hrs in vinegar:water, maybe 1:5 or so, with a powerhead for movement. Blast the rocks clean with a hose and inspect, pull off, scrub off anything. If any look like they need more, do another 24 hrs. Hose off again and inspect. Then you can start on curing, first with RO, then heated salt water, doing water changes and testing for nitrate/phosphate.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back