How many Dinos is OK?

nicodoctor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need help getting an ID on agae over my tank crystal and sand bed. I thought it was Dino’s but I can see another things with my micro. In the images, you can see how is the sand partially covered with something like diatoms. The green typical algae over the crystal is another image in video.
I can see saome dinos in every video or photo, but I dont Know how many dinos is normal or if only a few dinos are a big problem.
Thank you.

This is de video link with micro and video and fotos of the tank.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

Attachments

• Video.mov
    1.9 MB
  • Video_1.mov
    647.3 KB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are easily fueled by lights and nutrients, therefore few become many. I personally would start the fight now and reverse. I will give you remedy but you can try a 3 day rather than 5 and see how things look.
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
nicodoctor

nicodoctor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are easily fueled by lights and nutrients, therefore few become many. I personally would start the fight now and reverse. I will give you remedy but you can try a 3 day rather than 5 and see how things look.
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Thank you. I had phosphates with hanna checker in 0 and very high nitrates (>50). I realized during two weeks water changes and used a nitrate removal resin adding seachem flourish phosphate and NOPOX. I add bacteria too.
With this method, I reduced nitrates near 15, Phosphate depend of the dosing...
As I have seen these spots in the sand, I alarmed and stop NOPOX and asked you...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are NOT fueled by nutrients and keeping nutrients up (5-10 for NO3 and 0.06-0.12 for PO4) is essential. Yours looks like either procentrum or amphidinium...not terribly important as treatment is the same for both. Dosing silicates(you already have a good number of diatoms which is good) and possibly H2O2 is what helps. Be patient, these take a while to get a handle on.

Back