How many fish are too may fish for a 29 gallon

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new saltwater fish so i was wondering how many fish i can have in a 29 gallon so the bio load isn’t too heavy? I’m also wondering if the fish i want to get are a compatible combination of fish?

Fish: 2 oce clownfish, coral beauty, dwarf lion fish or fu manchu lion fish if the dwarf lion is too big, green mandarin goby, Kaudern's Cardinalfish and couple of hermit crabs.

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lion fish I wouldn’t because in a small tank like that there going to be aggressive towards tank mates and try to eat the small ones. It’s possible to keep a lionfish with the others but difficult and since your new I would not!!!!!! recommend it. If your not wanting a heavy bio load I would probably do the 1 fish per 5 gallons that would give you about 6 fish.

Upvote 0

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure the lion would think the goby is delicious. Cardinal too. Start with a couple clownfish. Research research research. Maybe go with a cardinal. Research research research. Once the tank is established MAYBE get a mandarin. Little more research and take every bit of advice you get on here into consideration, ESPECIALLY if it is something that bums you out.
And if all else fails, research.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the fu Manchu Lion work with the smaller fish because its on the smaller side or is it still big enough to eat the goby’s and such? I also wouldn’t get it now maybe later down the line when i have more experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish are ambush predators with large mouths which can be deceiving but no small fish is safe from being on the menu. In my opinion, Lionfish should be part of a predator tank with larger, more aggressive fish
good luck with your tank!

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its not about how many fish, its about what kind of fish. At 7 fish I would say you are very overstocked. Further, the tank is too small for the coral beauty or a lion fish.

I have 5 fish in my 32 and I consider it full, just small fish like clownfish and gobies and blennies, these are the kind fish to get for with a 29 gallon. If you want lionfish or predator fish, you should get at least a 50 gallon tank, minimum.

Upvote 0

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with LordofCinder, however, I think you can up that amount a little by performing weekly water changes and increasing and maintaining optimal biological, mechanical and chemical filtration, but it is a safe practice to keep livestock at the lower end of the bioload per tank size.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with LordofCinder, however, I think you can up that amount a little by performing weekly water changes and increasing and maintaining optimal biological, mechanical and chemical filtration, but it is a safe practice to keep livestock at the lower end of the bioload per tank size.
I only have a hob filter and a protein skimmer, do I need more filtration to support 6 fish?

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back