How many fish can i add after a fish-less cycle

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished cycling my 29g tank and all my parameters are 0 and tomorrow i was going to pick up two clownfish a cardinal fish and a hermit crab but i dont need the hermit crab right now. Is this to many fish to add at once?

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters at 0 isn't necessarily a good thing. Nitrate should be present if the tank is cycled. That being said, one or 2 fish depending on tank size and fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters at 0 isn't necessarily a good thing. Nitrate should be present if the tank is cycled. That being said, one or 2 fish depending on tank size and fish.
I do have some nitrate but just a little and everyone says a little doesn’t matter so i just say 0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, go slow. I would go with a snail or two instead of a hermit crab. Crabs can get, well crabby...

Clowns go in last as they can be aggressive. You want to add more peaceful fish first.
I did the opposite of everything you said lol, i put the clowns first and got a hermit crab but everything’s going well.

Upvote 0

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how much ammonia you put in during the cycle. The recommended amount is 2 ppm, twice. Obviously if you ramp it up to 5 ppm, you’ll be able to add more fish. I would guesstimate one 2 to 3 inch fish per each ppm.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how much ammonia you put in during the cycle. The recommended amount is 2 ppm, twice. Obviously if you ramp it up to 5 ppm, you’ll be able to add more fish. I would guesstimate one 2 to 3 inch fish per each ppm.
I just did what the bottle said, i think it was 4 drops per gallon. I don’t know what ppm that would be.

Upvote 0

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did what the bottle said, i think it was 4 drops per gallon. I don’t know what ppm that would be.
I assume you used Dr. Tim’s, which is what I used, which indicates four drops per gallon to yield 2 ppm ammonia concentration. Once that zeros out, they say to add a second dose of four drops per gallon. I then added a third dose of 10 drops per gallon to yield an ammonia concentration of 5 ppm. This has the effect of boosting the bacteria base significantly so you can add more fish right off the bat without risking an ammonia spike and second cycle. Naturally, it takes a few extra days for the 5 ppm to zero out, a week at the most.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you used Dr. Tim’s, which is what I used, which indicates four drops per gallon to yield 2 ppm ammonia concentration. Once that zeros out, they say to add a second dose of four drops per gallon. I then added a third dose of 10 drops per gallon to yield an ammonia concentration of 5 ppm. This has the effect of boosting the bacteria base significantly so you can add more fish right off the bat without risking an ammonia spike and second cycle. Naturally, it takes a few extra days for the 5 ppm to zero out, a week at the most.
I only dosed once, does this mean i can only have a little bit of fish total or i just have to wait longer to add the fish, ive been waiting three week interval’s to add the fish?

Upvote 0

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only dosed once, does this mean i can only have a little bit of fish total or i just have to wait longer to add the fish, ive been waiting three week interval’s to add the fish?
I know you’re anxious to add fish, but each additional dose of ammonia adds to the bacterial base without jeopardizing the lives of your fish and other livestock. Think of it as insurance. However, if you are determined to start adding fish immediately, you can just follow standard guidelines, as laid out by other posters to this thread.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’re anxious to add fish, but each additional dose of ammonia adds to the bacterial base without jeopardizing the lives of your fish and other livestock. Think of it as insurance. However, if you are determined to start adding fish immediately, you can just follow standard guidelines, as laid out by other posters to this thread.
Well I’ve already added fish about three weeks ago so i cant add anymore ammonia is there anything else i can do?

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back