How Many Fish Can I Have, and Should Get?

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 30 gallon tank with one clown pair, a royal gramma, some hermits, and a cleaner shrimp. I was wondering how many fish I could still fit, and if so, what kinds. Any information helps (I have a mixed reef tank so reef safe suggestions please)

MangoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 5-6 depending on size and waste load. Have a 32g with clowns lawnmower Blenny 2 banggai Cardnals and a firefish

MangoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another cool fish would be some smaller wrasse like the ferry wrasse

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 30 gallon tank with one clown pair, a royal gramma, some hermits, and a cleaner shrimp. I was wondering how many fish I could still fit, and if so, what kinds. Any information helps (I have a mixed reef tank so reef safe suggestions please)
Most important thing that will determine how many more you can have depends on how strong/effective is your bio filter. Assuming its great then adding atleast 5+ fish where all stay small should be no problem.

OP
OP
Royal Gramma Man

Royal Gramma Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 5-6 depending on size and waste load. Have a 32g with clowns lawnmower Blenny 2 banggai Cardnals and a firefish
Quick question, does the cleaner shrimp I have impact the max # of fish? I'm fine if it does, but I wanted some clarification just to make sure. Thanks!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Invertebrates have much lower bio-loads than fish. They technically count towards bioload, but unless you had a lot of shrimp, their influence is pretty negligible.

As a very rough stocking tool, you can have one small fish (~3 inches) per 5 gallons of water, in tanks 15 gallons and up. Slightly less is generally better.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invertebrates have much lower bio-loads than fish. They technically count towards bioload, but unless you had a lot of shrimp, their influence is pretty negligible.

As a very rough stocking tool, you can have one small fish (~3 inches) per 5 gallons of water, in tanks 15 gallons and up. Slightly less is generally better.
What fish in your opinion should count as two toward that count? As in are on the higher bioload fish?

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is that display volume or total water volume??

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Display volume, unless your tank is incredibly crammed with rock. Again, it's a very rough tool. But if you have a 20 gallon tank, and you pick four fish that aren't bigger than 3", that's probably a reasonable bioload.

I can't think of any 3" fish that would count for two fish in this. Except maybe frogfish. Most fish in that size range are things like damsels, gobies, cardinalfish, and other fish that don't tend to have a massive bioload for their size.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally your fully stocked you may be able to get one more max

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back