how many fish in a 20 gallon high aquarium

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd start with one and see how it goes from there tbh. Add one or two a month to prevent an algea explosion. Make sure to add some grazers, like a lawnmower blenny toward the middle or end.

chanathon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would err on the safe side and go less. There's no real rule. You have to take into consideration swimming space, territories, and nutrient levels. Also if you think your watchman goby is a goner, you may want to check parameters for ammonia/nitrate spike before adding anything else. You could probably get by with a tailspot if everything's stable, but I think you're pretty full at the moment.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw something one time that said 1 in of fish for 1 inch of aquarium space yeah I'm very very sorry I even said that. didn't help me much either make sure they have enough room to hide. And still be comfortable. not get too territorial and make sure to keep your nutrients in check. I've never seen something that actually says a 20 gallon tank should have or can have this many fish or a 200 gallon tank can have or should have this many fish a lot of it depends on the type of fish the size of the fish you are adding and the type of filtration and how good a filtration you have

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s because they are babies, as they grow is when the fighting starts.
Oh yeah, generally it is best to keep only one clown in a tank. I now just picked up a Maroon Clown today at the LFS; and will never be able to put another clown in the tank (as Maroon Clowns are not tolerant of other clowns in a tank).

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw something one time that said 1 in of fish for 1 inch of aquarium space yeah I'm very very sorry I even said that. didn't help me much either make sure they have enough room to hide. And still be comfortable. not get too territorial and make sure to keep your nutrients in check. I've never seen something that actually says a 20 gallon tank should have or can have this many fish or a 200 gallon tank can have or should have this many fish a lot of it depends on the type of fish the size of the fish you are adding and the type of filtration and how good a filtration you have
I have a marine land 30 penguin filter stuffed with Biological filter media and a chemical filtration for a 50 gallon and 2 250gph power heads also the filter is 150gph and 25 pounds of rock and my tanks been running for 6 months and i plan on adding a protein skimmer.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back