How many fish in a 7’x2’x2’ tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been juggling the thought of a 6 or 7 foot tank as my dream tank, I went for a theoretical 7’ tank and started a plan on fish stock. I want to try get a more natural and not over run look so I added smaller and larger fish. How does this stock seem? I don’t have a 7’ tank yet, for now my 4’ tank will do, hopefully next time I move I’ll have room for Atleast a 6’ tank, 7’ is more wanted though. Here’s the stock I had planned:
Butterflyfish;
- Chaetodon aureofasciatus or rainfordi
- Chaetodon xanthocephalus
- Chelmon rostratum or marginalis
Tang;
- Ctenochaetus binotatus or flavicauda
Rabbitfish;
- Siganus magnificus
- Siganus corallinus
Angelfish;
- Genicanthus semifasciatus or melanospilos
- Pomacanthus xanthopterus
Wrasse;
- Anampses neoguinaicus
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus
- Macropharyngodon negrosensis
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres cosmetus
- Halichoeres pallidus
- Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both var.)
- Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- Cirrhilabrus isosceles
- Cirrhilabrus exquisitus (Vanuatu var.)
- Wetmorella sp. x5 (Perferably tanakai)
Tilefish;
- Hoplolatilus chlupatyi x3-4
- Hoplolatilus Marcosi x2
- Hoplolatilus purpureus x2
- Hoplolatilus cuniculus x2
Blennies/Gobies;
- Stonogobiops yasha
- Gobiodon astrangulatus
- Escenius lineatus

I am aware not all of those guys are reef safe, I wanted some opinions on the stock and what you would change - I currently own a Flashing Tilefish so I know what their care is like and how they’re such a bad jumper (I own several of the fish listed already and hope I still have them - I doubt when I get the 7’ tank I’ll have the wrasses still unfortunately). I think as a total there’s 36 fish, to me that sounds over stocked but, I think I’d be okay since most of them stay around 4” is not smaller.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 17 or so in my 120, so doubling that for a 7ft tank isnt a wild number. I like your stocking, I'm a bit surprised no more tangs! I am a HUGE rabbitfish fan, so I can appreciate that as well. I'm wary about butterfly fish outside of a peaceful (slow) tank, but that's due to my poor luck with them.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 17 or so in my 120, so doubling that for a 7ft tank isnt a wild number. I like your stocking, I'm a bit surprised no more tangs! I am a HUGE rabbitfish fan, so I can appreciate that as well. I'm wary about butterfly fish outside of a peaceful (slow) tank, but that's due to my poor luck with them.
Yeah, I was thinking that with the butterflies (I have a CBB in my 4’ at the moment with some of the same fish). I think when I finally get a 6-7’ tank I’ll do the two or three butterflies first (Probably go with two if it’s a 6’ tank) then go with the Tilefish in hopes I can get them altogether, I doubt I’ll get 3-4 flashing tiles all at the same time though, I think the rabbits will go in if I can’t add them early on then I’ll probably add them just before the wrasses. I think the harder wrasses will go in first then slowly add the easier ones, when I get a 6 or 7 foot tank I’ll probably leave it a few years before the last few fish go in, I think after the first few wrasses I’ll add the blenny and gobies altogether, then add the angels together if possible. I think after that I’ll add the tang. I doubt I’ll get all of these fish within a year so I’ll probably have it stocked over three or so years.

I didn’t want too many tangs (I don’t like many of them actually, the only ones I like are the two bristletooths, Achilles, goldrims, orange shoulder and I think that’s it).

The Rabbitfish we’re the first things that I thought of, I currently own a magnificent and I can’t imagine a large tank without atleast one rabbit. IMO rabbitfish are highly underrated, I have only owned them for 4 years but even in those 4 years I’ve gained a passion for them.
With it being a hopeful mixed reef, I’ll probably have to get some cheap coral so I don’t lose £1000s in coral because of the butterflies and angels. It’ll probably be cheap coral until I figure out what I cant collect and what I can collect. It’s probably too early to plan for a tank a few years down the line but I guess it just gives time to tweak the stocking plan!!

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate the Achilles, if I go 6' I will have one in my tank. I ended up with a PBT recently from a co-worker, I'm mixed about it. It's bullying my Gold spot rabbit a bit and is just a pig with food, but he's healthy and shocking does ok with the scopas.

You can see the two rabbits in my photo, the Gold spot is larger of the two, but he is still scared of his own shadow.
20211201_102615_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can appreciate the Achilles, if I go 6' I will have one in my tank. I ended up with a PBT recently from a co-worker, I'm mixed about it. It's bullying my Gold spot rabbit a bit and is just a pig with food, but he's healthy and shocking does ok with the scopas.

You can see the two rabbits in my photo, the Gold spot is larger of the two, but he is still scared of his own shadow.
20211201_102615_HDR.jpg
You have two beautiful rabbits!! The foxfaces are by far my favourites of the rabbits (If only the Tongan foxface was available and not so pricy when it is, I would have it in a heart beat). Here’s my foxface at the moment
image.jpg

If I could have another larger fish in a 6/7’ tank I would probably add another foxface (Either uspi OR if it becomes more available in the future, the Tongan foxface).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else got an opinion on this amount of fish stock and any changes you would do? I’d love some Other fish ideas.
The Sohal and Clown tangs have crossed my path after doing more research but I feel 7’ of tank is too small.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the stock list. Beautiful foxface btw... I would have a magnificent but don't want to squeeze one in my 80g. Maybe when I go bigger someday.

I would probably shy away from more Tangs personally. They have always been my most boring fish and kinda common although Achilles IS pretty (and sometimes mean). Maybe some dwarf angels in the mix?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the stock list. Beautiful foxface btw... I would have a magnificent but don't want to squeeze one in my 80g. Maybe when I go bigger someday.

I would probably shy away from more Tangs personally. They have always been my most boring fish and kinda common although Achilles IS pretty (and sometimes mean). Maybe some dwarf angels in the mix?
That’s what I was missing!! I always wanted to mix dwarf angels so I may add two or three to the list depending on how many more fish I could have although which ones I don’t know.
Also thanks, the foxface was what brought me into this hobby so I knew as soon as I got Atleast 5’ diagonal I wanted one and finally I pulled the trigger when I got a 3 foot and came close to moving again because I knew I’d get a 4 footer with a 5 foot diagonal, this is the second unfortunately the first died due to a mistake I did (Mixed up the new sand with the old sand).

After looking up just “Centropyge” I reminded myself of one Angel I have wanted for a while, Centropyge deborae, so that’s one of two/three angels down now just to find the final two (I think I’ll go with a total of three for now and see)

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for the angels;
- Genicanthus melanospilos or semifasciatus
- Centropyge deborae
- Centropyge acanthops
- Centropyge flavissimus x eibli or Centropyge flavissimus x vroliki

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing some more research on angels and other fish in order of how I’d introduce them, the list sits at;
Butterflyfish;
- Chelmon marginalis or muelleri
Jawfish;
- Opistognathus aurifrons x2
Angelfish;
- Centropyge acanthops
- Centropyge deborae
- Centropyge flavissimus x eibli
- Genicanthus semifasciatis
Rabbitfish (If not able to go in sooner);
- Siganus doliatus
- Siganus corallinus
- Siganus magnificus
Wrasse;
- Macropharyngodon bipartitus x2
- Macropharyngodon negrosensis x2
- Halichoeres iridis
- Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- Cirrhilabrus isosceles
- Wetmorella sp. (Preferably tanakai) x3
Tilefish;
- Hoplolatilus chlupatyi x2
- Hoplolatilus marcosi x2
- Hoplolatilus pupureus x2
Blennies/Gobies;
- Escenius lineatus
- Gobiiodon astrangulatus x2
- Stonogobiops yasha x2
Hawkfish;
- Neocirrhites armatus
- Amblycirrhites bimacula
Tang;
- Ctenochaetus binotatus

I accidentally made the number rise to somewhere near 40, If that’s too many I will most likely lower a fish number that isn’t the tilefish (I quite like pairs/harems of fish, especially when they make harems of different species from that family or different fish altogether).

Last edited:

Jfeldman63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else got an opinion on this amount of fish stock and any changes you would do? I’d love some Other fish ideas.
The Sohal and Clown tangs have crossed my path after doing more research but I feel 7’ of tank is too small.
I think you have too many wrasses lol n the list and will have issues with territory and depletion of any pod life happening in the tank. Your gobies might starve or rarely come out because of this

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have too many wrasses lol n the list and will have issues with territory and depletion of any pod life happening in the tank. Your gobies might starve or rarely come out because of this
Yeah, I thought that may be the case - Now to lower the number and figure out what ones I don’t like so much haha

Think I’ll get rid of the Wetmorellas (They mainly hide in tanks with larger fish in from what I’ve seen, my tanakai I had was always out but a larger fish entered for QT - Genicanthus melanospilos - and he wasn’t out so much). So, the wrasses are at;
- M. negrosensis x2
- M. bipartitus
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres chrysus
- Cirrhilabrus naokoae
- Cirrhilabrus isosceles

Also, just remembered the dart fish… Why are there so many fish that form harems available haha. There’s just too much to choose from.
Dartfish;
- Ptereleotris heteroptera x3

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may actually just get rid of the fairy wrasses and stick to the leopard wrasses with two Halichoeres wrasses and then go for another grouping fish (I think I’ll put a max of 40-45 fish).
After rethinking, this is what I got;
Wrasses;
- Macropharyngodon negrosensis
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres chrysus

I did this to add more variety in fish and more shoaling fish, I’d love to know of some nice looking ones you’d pick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Butterflyfish;
- Chelmon marginalis or muelleri
Jawfish;
- Opistognathus aurifrons x2
Angelfish;
- Centropyge acanthops
- Centropyge deborae
- Centropyge flavissimus x eibli
- Genicanthus semifasciatis
Rabbitfish (If not able to go in sooner);
- Siganus doliatus
- Siganus corallinus
- Siganus magnificus
Wrasse;
- Macropharyngodon negrosensis x2
- Halichoeres iridis
- Halichoeres chrysus
Tilefish/Dartfish;
- Hoplolatilus chlupatyi x2
- Hoplolatilus marcosi x2
- Hoplolatilus pupureus x2
- Ptereleotris heteroptera x3
Blennies/Gobies;
- Escenius lineatus
- Meiacanthus bundoon x2
- Gobiiodon astrangulatus x2
- Stonogobiops yasha x2
Hawkfish;
- Neocirrhites armatus
- Amblycirrhites bimacula
- Oxycirrhites typus
Tang;
- Ctenochaetus binotatus

Basically, if you can’t tell I’m trying to get pairs/groups of fish that can cohabitate with eachother. Or trying to get several species from the same genus/family to make it seem more like an actual reef. I think I may need some more fish on the bottom but I don’t know what would go well with the already selected fish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a list I made a few days ago (Actually what started the idea of preparing for my dream tank), finding it very hard to add more butterflies but hey, I found a list of the ones I love!! Now just to sort through them and try to have a total of 4 (Including the ones I already put in the list)
D05FCFF3-FD9A-41A7-B3D6-8E703C55F6DD.jpeg
3AAF28DF-B844-469C-B00C-03B7972990C8.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a list I made a few days ago (Actually what started the idea of preparing for my dream tank), finding it very hard to add more butterflies but hey, I found a list of the ones I love!! Now just to sort through them and try to have a total of 4 (Including the ones I already put in the list)
D05FCFF3-FD9A-41A7-B3D6-8E703C55F6DD.jpeg
3AAF28DF-B844-469C-B00C-03B7972990C8.jpeg
After going through the list it lowered to these four:
8DF661EA-3E4D-44DB-BA58-4D1466921DE6.jpeg

Now the question is, would this tank with the fish it has already be big enough for all four or should I swap one-two of them for smaller butterflies? I definitely want the uncommonly spoken about families to be dominant in this tank (Butterflies, tilefish, rabbits ect..) so if it comes to it I will get rid of the tang and go tangless which I think would be better for the butterflies. I would also probably remove the hawkfish (They’ve never really pleased me as much as the other fish on the list have).

Last edited:

Jfeldman63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going through the list it lowered to these four:
8DF661EA-3E4D-44DB-BA58-4D1466921DE6.jpeg

Now the question is, would this tank with the fish it has already be big enough for all four or should I swap one-two of them for smaller butterflies? I definitely want the uncommonly spoken about families to be dominant in this tank (Butterflies, tilefish, rabbits ect..) so if it comes to it I will get rid of the tang and go tangless which I think would be better for the butterflies. I would also probably remove the hawkfish (They’ve never really pleased me as much as the other fish on the list have).
As much fun and exciting as the planning stage is for stocklist I can 100000% guarantee you will make changes as you go. Every fish has a different personality. Personally I would get a core of like 3 fish from each type you like and make those your must have starting fish and build around them based off of aggression, territory, feeding habits,ect.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much fun and exciting as the planning stage is for stocklist I can 100000% guarantee you will make changes as you go. Every fish has a different personality. Personally I would get a core of like 3 fish from each type you like and make those your must have starting fish and build around them based off of aggression, territory, feeding habits,ect.
Yeah, this is just a starting plan, I know I will end up editing a lot of fish and removing some ideas aswell as adding some.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I really like your approach and I am into the same thing which is keeping as many fish as possible in their natural social units. :) As you can tell I am also into a “natural” look. Before I get to the butterflies, I’ll try my best to provide insight based on what limited knowledge I have.

I am not sure how different species of Rabbitfish will get along, but it is my gut feeling that tells me even in a 7’ tank, having three of them probably won’t work out well. They are also herbivores and herbivores tend to have inefficient digestive tracts, so that’s putting more strain on your system. Of course I think having multiples species of Rabbitfish may be done, I’m just not sure how well it works / how it works. Furthermore, having not one but three relatively elongated and larger fish doesn’t make for good aesthetics in my opinion. A 7’ x 2’ x 2’ tank is about 210 US gallons, it’s not a small tank but not large enough IMO for three Rabbitfish.

As for angelfish, it’s okay if you prefer single specimens of different species, though my personal preference would be a harem of a single species. The “Tigerpyge” is a very rare find, if you can find one be prepared to pay a very high price for it. Would you be okay with either an Eibli or Lemonpeel, or the somewhat more common Lemonpeel x Half Black hybrids, or a species from another complex altogether? I would probably avoid a Coral Beauty because the Deborae looks too similar to it. Furthermore, Deborae I’m not sure is going to be easy to find either. Their range is somewhat restricted and for a long time we’re believed to be a regional population of Centropyge nox.

The rest looks good so far though I am nor sure about how Tilefish socialize / how their form pairs or harems. I'd do research into that.

A 210 may have enough space for three Hawkfish to live together although IMO a pair of one species would be more interesting. Be sure to give them each their perching spots.

Good luck! And I’ll try my best to get back to you on the butterflies. I see you originally wanted to add a Blue Face, IMO 210 is on the small side for one as they’re a large-large angel. If you want a large angel in that family, Majestic grow slowly so maybe that’s an option. Plus they’re captive bred. I think 8”, maybe 9” would be the max for the majority in captivity.

It’s clear what you want is a Tilefish and Wrasse dominated tank. And of course the butterflies and angels too. Looking forward to the good news.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I really like your approach and I am into the same thing which is keeping as many fish as possible in their natural social units. :) As you can tell I am also into a “natural” look. Before I get to the butterflies, I’ll try my best to provide insight based on what limited knowledge I have.

I am not sure how different species of Rabbitfish will get along, but it is my gut feeling that tells me even in a 7’ tank, having three of them probably won’t work out well. They are also herbivores and herbivores tend to have inefficient digestive tracts, so that’s putting more strain on your system. Of course I think having multiples species of Rabbitfish may be done, I’m just not sure how well it works / how it works. Furthermore, having not one but three relatively elongated and larger fish doesn’t make for good aesthetics in my opinion. A 7’ x 2’ x 2’ tank is about 210 US gallons, it’s not a small tank but not large enough IMO for three Rabbitfish.

As for angelfish, it’s okay if you prefer single specimens of different species, though my personal preference would be a harem of a single species. The “Tigerpyge” is a very rare find, if you can find one be prepared to pay a very high price for it. Would you be okay with either an Eibli or Lemonpeel, or the somewhat more common Lemonpeel x Half Black hybrids, or a species from another complex altogether? I would probably avoid a Coral Beauty because the Deborae looks too similar to it. Furthermore, Deborae I’m not sure is going to be easy to find either. Their range is somewhat restricted and for a long time we’re believed to be a regional population of Centropyge nox.

The rest looks good so far though I am nor sure about how Tilefish socialize / how their form pairs or harems. I'd do research into that.

A 210 may have enough space for three Hawkfish to live together although IMO a pair of one species would be more interesting. Be sure to give them each their perching spots.

Good luck! And I’ll try my best to get back to you on the butterflies. I see you originally wanted to add a Blue Face, IMO 210 is on the small side for one as they’re a large-large angel. If you want a large angel in that family, Majestic grow slowly so maybe that’s an option. Plus they’re captive bred. I think 8”, maybe 9” would be the max for the majority in captivity.

It’s clear what you want is a Tilefish and Wrasse dominated tank. And of course the butterflies and angels too. Looking forward to the good news.
Yeah, tilefish socialisation is what got me wanting to make this tank, I did research and it seems they like being in pairs/trios in the wild. I constantly research these fish because at the moment they’re my second favourite family of fish, just behind siganiidae (Rabbitfish).

I agree with the rabbitfish, 3 elongated fish (Two of which stay 8-9” and the other gets 1’ or bigger). Grazing habits for all three are definitely similar to Zebrasoma tangs but instead they focus on a wider range of algaes (Macros, LHA/SHA, bubble ect…), I think in the long run it’ll be Siganus magnificus and Siganus corallinus because of how the S. magnificus was what got me into this hobby and S. corallinus boosted the push on a larger tank. These fish are more social than others think, I knew someone with about 12 different species of rabbits in either a 12 or 8 foot tank (can’t quite remember what size it was). They got along just fine and didn’t care about eachother.

I definitely don’t expect to 1. Full this tank within the first year and 2. Spend cheap prices on them. My LFS get a hybrid lemon x vroliki every year and I just don’t find nice ones that are truly half black and half yellow, instead just their tails are black. I have seen a hybrid eibli x lemon and it looked stunning, wish I got it.

When I can get this tank, it will most likely be a pair of hawkfish (Amblycirrhites bimacula). Certainly agree with you, too many large fish can make a tank look crowded I wasn’t sure if the three were too much or not. Definitely will continue to do more and more research on each individual fish (I may have to use my experience on the flashing tilefish to get information on the other tiles though).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back