How many fish in quarantine tank

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long quarantine tank that has a small niger triggerfish. I am looking to buy a 2.5-3 inch tang, 2-3 inch pufferfish, and a 2-3 inch dwarf angelfish. I was wondering if I could put all of those fish in with the quarantine tank without ammonia going up. I can do as many water changes as needed. I also have a 5.5 gallon quarantine tank I could put the puffer or angelfish in. I would just buy a bigger tank but I have no room and not enough money and my parents said no more tanks. So can I put all of those fish in a 20 gallon long qt or put one in a 5.5 gallon and the rest in the 20 gallon long qt.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't I see this thread earlier? The answer is probably.
Yeah I just made it better. So which means is better putting all of them in the 20 gallon qt or put one in the 5.5 and the rest in the 20

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just made it better. So which means is better putting all of them in the 20 gallon qt or put one in the 5.5 and the rest in the 20
I wouldn’t qt them ALL at the same time, I’d do it more in sets, so first the Angel then the trigger and the tang (Dependent on the species of the tang, if it’s a bristletooth you can get away with him being in before the trigger).

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t qt them ALL at the same time, I’d do it more in sets, so first the Angel then the trigger and the tang (Dependent on the species of the tang, if it’s a bristletooth you can get away with him being in before the trigger).
So only one at a time

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean one at a time because
I wouldn’t qt them ALL at the same time, I’d do it more in sets, so first the Angel then the trigger and the tang (Dependent on the species of the tang, if it’s a bristletooth you can get away with him being in before the trigger
Do you mean one at a time?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean one at a time because

Do you mean one at a time?
I more mean, do the Angel first, then do the tang and trigger fish together but if the tang is a Ctenochaetus then do that with the angel

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I more mean, do the Angel first, then do the tang and trigger fish together but if the tang is a Ctenochaetus then do that with the angel
Oh ok thanks, the only thing is I have to get all the fish together. And I am also getting a puffer

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, i wouldnt - Unless it was an emergency case scenario.

Not so much for ammonia management but aggression will cause a very large issue in that size QT with those inhabitants.

I would do as others have suggested and step the QT proces doing 1 or 2 at a time - Longer process yes, but much safer.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, i wouldnt - Unless it was an emergency case scenario.

Not so much for ammonia management but aggression will cause a very large issue in that size QT with those inhabitants.

I would do as others have suggested and step the QT proces doing 1 or 2 at a time - Longer process yes, but much safer.
Does it help that I have an Aqua clear 70 and an air pump on the tank just wondering

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting 6 fish in a 20 long at the same time. Nitrates spiked and they all died. Never again
Ok thanks for your help I am only putting 4 or 3 though. I’m sorry that happened to you

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a quarantine tank? Also the trigger is already in there so it has given the tank time for more bacteria to populate
I made the mistake of putting 6 fish in a 20 long at the same time. Nitrates spiked and they all died. Never again

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I see what you mean thanks for your help

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it help that I have an Aqua clear 70 and an air pump on the tank just wondering
Not unless the Aqua Clear has had filter media in it from a fully running tank for a good length of time - Otherwise it doesnt change much.

Aggression will still be an issue with that many inhabitants in such a small space and ammonia will still need a tight eye on.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquaclear filter has media from a running tank that was in the tank for at least a month and the qt has a trigger in it with no ammonia. So is it possible I won’t take your word for it so just tell me if it’s possible. The tank has a lot of hiding places
Not unless the Aqua Clear has had filter media in it from a fully running tank for a good length of time - Otherwise it doesnt change much.

Aggression will still be an issue with that many inhabitants in such a small space and ammonia will still need a tight eye on.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible if it is cycled but you are more likely to run into problems, even if it is just bacterial infections from poor water quality. How often can you do water changes?

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible if it is cycled but you are more likely to run into problems, even if it is just bacterial infections from poor water quality. How often can you do water changes?
I can do wc whenever I need to how often would you suggest to do water changes

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do wc whenever I need to how often would you suggest to do water changes
Twice a week with those fish. And that’s the Bare Minimum IMO. Again, take it in steps with 1-2 at a time because even though the previous tank was running for a month Thats still a risk. Aggression from a tang, trigger and puffer is hell in a box, do the most peaceful first then the tang (Again, what type of tang is it?) and the trigger at the same time and then finally get the puffer into QT.

4 fish changes nothing, their bio load is the issue. 4 fish with VERY heavy bio loads in a tank that isn’t a big enough water volume to remove the nutrients is often bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a week with those fish. And that’s the Bare Minimum IMO. Again, take it in steps with 1-2 at a time because even though the previous tank was running for a month Thats still a risk. Aggression from a tang, trigger and puffer is hell in a box, do the most peaceful first then the tang (Again, what type of tang is it?) and the trigger at the same time and then finally get the puffer into QT.
4 fish changes nothing, their bio load is the issue. 4 fish with VERY heavy bio loads in a tank that isn’t a big enough water volume to remove the nutrients is often bad.
The previous tank has been running for 5 months the media in it was in there for at least a month and a half or more

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back