How many fish in quarantine tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think - thanks for all your help I appreciate it
It’s alright! I wish you luck with the scopas, he shouldn’t be too bad in that tank but may get a bit big (I can’t remember how slow their growth rates are). I would certainly do the tang and trigger together then Anthias and Angel together though just in case!

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s alright! I wish you luck with the scopas, he shouldn’t be too bad in that tank but may get a bit big (I can’t remember how slow their growth rates are). I would certainly do the tang and trigger together then Anthias and Angel together though just in case!
Ok thanks I will do that

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Copperband, small sailfin, small tomini, and 3 banggai cardinals in a 20g long with an aquaclear 50. After about one week the nitrates spiked insanely.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Copperband, small sailfin, small tomini, and 3 banggai cardinals in a 20g long with an aquaclear 50. After about one week the nitrates spiked insanely.
Dang did they die? I took the trigger out and put it in my dt and I’m now putting a small tang,dwarf angelfish, anthias, and clownfish all of them are small. Thanks for telling me that

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting 6 fish in a 20 long at the same time. Nitrates spiked and they all died. Never again
That's more indicative of you putting 6 fish in a qt that couldn't handle it. If you had multiple sources of cycled media, That shouldn't have been a problem.

I'm also doubtful that I nitrate spike became so high it was toxic to all fish at the same time.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's more indicative of you putting 6 fish in a qt that couldn't handle it. If you had multiple sources of cycled media, That shouldn't have been a problem.

I'm also doubtful that I nitrate spike became so high it was toxic to all fish at the same time.
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks for contributing to this thread

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
With the 11 in 55 gallon I was doing water changes Every Other Day. Water change skip a day then water change. This was to ensure ammonia was low. Finally the Seachem badge reads 0 after 4 days idk maybe the Spongle filter is taking hold

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the 11 in 55 gallon I was doing water changes Every Other Day. Water change skip a day then water change. This was to ensure ammonia was low. Finally the Seachem badge reads 0 after 4 days idk maybe the Spongle filter is taking hold
Nice that’s a lot how big were the water changes and what are the fish

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately they did all die. When I tested the nitrates where 100+.

I had recently restarted that tank before putting the fish in so yes it was a newly cycled system. I thought it would be ok since I added a media block from an established system.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had recently restarted that tank before putting the fish in so yes it was a newly cycled system. I thought it would be ok since I added a media block from an established system.
I routinely run up against 170 +

Nitrates don't actually get toxic until 900+

I still doubt that is what killed your fish.

OP
OP
Hud

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That sucks. I’ve cycled tanks in 2 days from adding media from an established tank and had no problem I wonder what went wrong

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of putting 6 fish in a 20 long at the same time. Nitrates spiked and they all died. Never again
I had 10 in a 20 long with no issues, just gotta keep an eye on ammonia. Nitrate isn't what killed them, it was ammonia. Make sure to have ammonia badge and seed bacteria in your foam filter ahead of time.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long quarantine tank that has a small niger triggerfish. I am looking to buy a 2.5-3 inch tang, 2-3 inch pufferfish, and a 2-3 inch dwarf angelfish. I was wondering if I could put all of those fish in with the quarantine tank without ammonia going up. I can do as many water changes as needed. I also have a 5.5 gallon quarantine tank I could put the puffer or angelfish in. I would just buy a bigger tank but I have no room and not enough money and my parents said no more tanks. So can I put all of those fish in a 20 gallon long qt or put one in a 5.5 gallon and the rest in the 20 gallon long qt.
you should be fine since theyre all small. Just make sure to keep an eye on ammonia the first few days and be prepared to do a big water change. make sure to have bacteria in your filter to help with that

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. I’ve cycled tanks in 2 days from adding media from an established tank and had no problem I wonder what went wrong
The amount of media/bacteria you are moving over directly correlate to your bioload. If you only put a small seeded sponge and then add a bunch of dirty fish, there's no way that media will be able to keep up.

I live in the camp of use as much cycled media as possible. Sponges, sponge filters, bio media...

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be fine since theyre all small. Just make sure to keep an eye on ammonia the first few days and be prepared to do a big water change. make sure to have bacteria in your filter to help with that
I had an ammonia badge in the tank. Always showed 0.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I can't say with certainty what went wrong. But they were all very healthy and active looking fish. Only thing I can attribute it to was the high nitrates.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done 6 tangs (5 yellows and a purple) in a 27gallon Home Depot tote… water volume was around 20 gallons. Had seeded sponge filter and water change every 48-72 hours with microbacter 7. They were ok for the quarantine period with copper and prazi.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back