How many frags do you buy/add at once?

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

When you go to shows or order online, how many corals do you feel comfortable buying while not adding too many new frags to your quarantine tank?

Please include your max frag number and your frag quarantine tank size.

While I don't always stick to this number, I try to not add more than 5 new frags at a time, my frag quarantine system is 30 gallons.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased up to 15 frags once, it was fun purchasing but not fun dipping and QT'ing. We traditionally stick to 3-4 pieces depending on the type of coral. SPS I could go with a higher amount, euphyllia smaller, softies I've purchased whole rocks with a number of corals attached. Really all depends on what I plan on doing with it.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an exact number, usually it ends up being about 4-5 pieces, with that said even though I have had corals in my WT for about a week I pulled the trigger on some more and they’re showing up Tuesday- I currently have 5 corals in there and have 5 more coming so... 10 in my 10 gallon QT tank ;Hilarious

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think my preference is about 10 at a time. I have bought as many as 30 at once. LOL

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most I've bought is 15, however, for me it's definitely more dependent on cost than space. Especially when ordering online. Shipping cost are high, and I have to be home when they arrive to dip and acclimate so I don't want to do it too often. For that reason I will buy as many as I can afford at that time.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to stick below 10 normally 5-7 but have gotten more but “try” not to go buck wild

hehe, i initially didn’t realize live sales could be so addictive ... after getting back into the hobby in spring 2018 and restarting my 180G set-up, i joined two live sales that winter with a haul of about 20 specimens each. although i didn’t quarantine at the time, the dipping and acclimation was rather tedious.

even though my stocking wish list was substantially filled, i made it a point to cap new buys at about 5 pieces, plus i now quarantine. ;Stop

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I was all gung ho. Now I buy a few frags and they sit on my frag rack due to laziness and become mini colonies all touching and stuff. Over growing their bases and cemented on it. Eventually I expect the weight to collapse the rack from the magnets.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought more than 50 frags and mijincolonies at a time, simply cause shipments here are rare and.not always guaranteed to find nice stuff...
Its important to manage the water quality at time.of intro as corals are already stressed and sliming, add to that the dips and the additional stress and slime.
Water change post intro and lots of carbon is a must.
My coral QT is around 70G and is fully equipped to holdbcorals for long time. It has chiller, dosing pump, carbon reactor and decent flow and lighting. Parameters testing frequently is also a must.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case my hubby sees this, one. Always one!

I have purchased upwards of 20+ in a show (three days long). I have purchased up to 19 or so from live sales. I do have a 40g and 20g qt type tanks.

Honestly, I am bad at only getting a couple. It is none or tons. Long dipping process and acclimation, but so much fun to see the results.

jlieber516

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into the hobby, I would by 5+ corals at once as I was gung ho about filling up my tank. As I’ve progressed in the hobby I’ve become more of a procurer of corals, where all I’m interested in are more expensive corals that are harder to come by, so usually I purchase 1 or 2 at a time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back