How many Hobbyist are having fish shipped?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner's attitude doesn't seem as if it would be appreciated.

That is a shame, some places truly don't care, but not every store is like that.

I had my LFS order 1 fish for me one time. It was a dwarf zebra lion. I also asked that they don't acclimate him. I would come by on the way home and pick him up (this was more that I didn't want him to touch their water). The fish showed up DOA and they refused to order me another unless I paid up front. That way if the fish died, I had already paid for it?? Didn't seem fair to me.

The store that I work at usually requires fish to be paid for in advance if they want to us to make sure we get it in. Too many people just flake on us are are like "I want this specific goby/wrasse/tang" but never come and buy it when we order it for them. But if they paid for it and it arrived doa we would never have them pay for another... That's absurd. We get credits on DOA. But if you hadn't already paid for one and they were asking you to pay for it before they ordered another one, I think that is fair.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a shame, some places truly don't care, but not every store is like that.
I know, and it sadly closed due to the owner's non-business related legal issues. I was happy to pay more money to get a better product.

The store that I work at usually requires fish to be paid for in advance if they want to us to make sure we get it in. Too many people just flake on us are are like "I want this specific goby/wrasse/tang" but never come and buy it when we order it for them. But if they paid for it and it arrived doa we would never have them pay for another... That's absurd. We get credits on DOA. But if you hadn't already paid for one and they were asking you to pay for it before they ordered another one, I think that is fair.
My dealership requires customes to prepay special ordered parts for the same reason. I get it and have absolutely no issue with that, BUT I am not going to prepay for a fish that might show up DOA and I get stiffed? That makes no sense!

Last edited:

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence about guarantee policies. I think a limited guarantee approach is the best. Liveaquaria, in my experience, tends to refund anything, with hardly any questions asked, no proof needed. Some places are a little bit stricter and I think a lot of lfs would benefit from that.
I would like to see stores do something like a 14 day money back guarantee policy, on select fish only, and only if you qt your fish. No guarantees for jumpers, aggression, incorrect care, etc. And they can choose which fish it will apply to - ie not the brand new blue hippo tang, but sure for a Cardinalfish that they've had for a few weeks. Maybe even add an "opt in" type of thing, where customers could pay an additional ~10% to get a 24 day guarantee? Any thoughts on this?

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did my first online fish order from LA and am very happy with it. I finally bit the bullet because was LA offering free shipping for orders over $99. Since I work M-F, I opted for Saturday delivery for only $15. I bought a baby Magnificent Fox Face and CBB. I think the appeal of have a 14 day guarantee helped as well.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the fence about guarantee policies. I think a limited guarantee approach is the best. Liveaquaria, in my experience, tends to refund anything, with hardly any questions asked, no proof needed. Some places are a little bit stricter and I think a lot of lfs would benefit from that.
I would like to see stores do something like a 14 day money back guarantee policy, on select fish only, and only if you qt your fish. No guarantees for jumpers, aggression, incorrect care, etc. And they can choose which fish it will apply to - ie not the brand new blue hippo tang, but sure for a Cardinalfish that they've had for a few weeks. Maybe even add an "opt in" type of thing, where customers could pay an additional ~10% to get a 24 day guarantee? Any thoughts on this?
Trying buying anything over $200 and they will ask for the body back. As I stated at 300% profit why risk losing a customer.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: just paced an order from live aquaria to get a fish I have never seen in store, a banded pygmy wrasse. But to highlight my concern for lfs, I called all of the stores in my area (minus the one I hate) to see if they could get him and they all said no.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw some mention about prices at a lfs compared to online. I think it's a lot tougher for the stores to compete because of shipping cost. For online retailers it's pretty easy to have you pay shipping or to buy enough product to reduce the shipping rate. I see that they have set prices for shipping but I don't believe that's the price they pay. I know some types of business pay a flat monthly rate for shipping no matter how much or how little they ship. It is supposed to work out to be cheaper for the business but consistent for the shipper. Having said that, the online retailer doesn't pass on this savings to you unless you buy enough product. Lfs can't compete with that sort of shipping agreement so they are paying pretty hefty prices for these shipments. I remember a retailer explaining to me that the shipping cost was more than the product but that's were the mark up is on the end item is supposed to balance the cost of shipping. What I don't agree with at a lfs compared to an online store is the savings you get for loyalty. I've seen very little in the name of buyer rewards at LFS. This is an expensive hobby and I like to feel like my business is appreciated. I feel that more online than I do at any LFS. How is it that face to face interaction feels more impersonal than online shopping?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: just paced an order from live aquaria to get a fish I have never seen in store, a banded pygmy wrasse. But to highlight my concern for lfs, I called all of the stores in my area (minus the one I hate) to see if they could get him and they all said no.
I'm kind of surprised about this, as I'm from CT, and can think of a couple that regularly have them and a few more that can get them.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of surprised about this, as I'm from CT, and can think of a couple that regularly have them and a few more that can get them.

How far in CT? The furthest I will go is Wet Pets. Their the whole reason I wanted a pygmy wrasse but I missed my window and haven't seen one there since.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far in CT? The furthest I will go is Wet Pets. Their the whole reason I wanted a pygmy wrasse but I missed my window and haven't seen one there since.
I'm in the Southwest of the state, so Fairfield and New Haven counties.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1h50m is what gps says. There are a few places down there I want to check out but can't bring myself to drive 2h+ to get there.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my stock came in. The coral doesn't look as good in the pictures, neither does the fish. I wasn't able to watch him and see if he was taking food and now I don't know if it's the food I'm providing or if he hasn't eaten since capture. He's pale grey when he's supposed to be white and red. These are some of the issues that can occur when you order online.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my stock came in. The coral doesn't look as good in the pictures, neither does the fish. I wasn't able to watch him and see if he was taking food and now I don't know if it's the food I'm providing or if he hasn't eaten since capture. He's pale grey when he's supposed to be white and red. These are some of the issues that can occur when you order online.
You don't think that he is stressed? How long have you had him?

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think that he is stressed? How long have you had him?

Most likely he's stressed. I've had him less than 24h. It was most likely the shipping that stressed him. I purchased him from the divers den. I know that they move their stock as soon as it comes in, so I imagine it's been a rough week for the little guy.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: weirdest wrasse I've met yet. Still is brown and ugly though. The tips of his fins are now red but the rest is still brown. He is showing some signs of stress, swimming back and forth against the glass but usually only when k press my face to the glass. He's hunting and eating amphipods already, I saw him snag one last night and that's the reason I bought him. I don't know what he'll do once he's eradicated them all. The corals that I purchased do not look like their pictures at all. The purple torch is peach and in blue light it's almost brown. However the other piece is much more vibrant. I think this can happen with a lfs purchase too because everyone's lighting is different.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost 2 anglers from LA (one from LA one from DD). The one from LA wasn't healthy in my opinion, the one from DD was killed by UPS due to 2 delays and 48 hours in a box. He wasn't DOA , but he was close. He lasted 2 days and it was heartbreaking.

I ordered another painted black angler from "That Fish Place" I paid a little extra for priority overnight which got it to my door by 10am. My wife was off and she floated him immediately. He was there for 8 hours until I got home from work.

I acclimated him and plopped him in.

He was eating the next day. The other 2 never ate. In 4 days I have him eating off a feeding tool I made.

Take a look at That Fish Place at some point. Pay a bit extra for shipping and you may be surprised.

That being said, I also got a magnificent foxface and 2 spot tang 2 weeks ago from LA. They are doing just fine in a separate qt.

I still have the upmost respect for LA, but there are some other guys doing a great job too.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost 2 anglers from LA (one from LA one from DD). The one from LA wasn't healthy in my opinion, the one from DD was killed by UPS due to 2 delays and 48 hours in a box. He wasn't DOA , but he was close. He lasted 2 days and it was heartbreaking.

I ordered another painted black angler from "That Fish Place" I paid a little extra for priority overnight which got it to my door by 10am. My wife was off and she floated him immediately. He was there for 8 hours until I got home from work.

I acclimated him and plopped him in.

He was eating the next day. The other 2 never ate. In 4 days I have him eating off a feeding tool I made.

Take a look at That Fish Place at some point. Pay a bit extra for shipping and you may be surprised.

That being said, I also got a magnificent foxface and 2 spot tang 2 weeks ago from LA. They are doing just fine in a separate qt.

I still have the upmost respect for LA, but there are some other guys doing a great job too.

Doesn't sound like online ordering is very successful for you. Even the delay by ups is a direct result from shipping instead of purchasing local. I would also be concerned with buying anything where overnight shipping of livestock is not the only option. However, I also know that anglers are extremely hard to care for and am not surprised that 2 out of 3 have ended up dead.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound like online ordering is very successful for you. Even the delay by ups is a direct result from shipping instead of purchasing local. I would also be concerned with buying anything where overnight shipping of livestock is not the only option. However, I also know that anglers are extremely hard to care for and am not surprised that 2 out of 3 have ended up dead.
I don't know where you got that from. I have ordered several fish online, these are the first 2 that had an issue. Maybe you missed the part that I said I have 2 other fish I got 2 weeks ago that are fine.

I guess when you have a particular opinion, you see what you want.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where you got that from. I have ordered several fish online, these are the first 2 that had an issue. Maybe you missed the part that I said I have 2 other fish I got 2 weeks ago that are fine.

I guess when you have a particular opinion, you see what you want.

2/3 of a particular fish you ordered died, I see numbers.

Back