How many inches of sand do you have in your reef tank? Does it matter?

How many inches of sand do you have in your reef aquarium?

• NO sand for me

Votes: 87 9.0%
  • Up to 1"

Votes: 138 14.2%
  • 1" - 2"

Votes: 430 44.3%
  • 2" - 4"

Votes: 296 30.5%
  • 4" - 6"

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • 6"+ Pics please!

Votes: 3 0.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's a topic we never talk about, Sand Depth.......NOT!! Well things changes, people change, ideas change so let's talk about it some more today! I personally love the look of sand. But how much is too much and how little is too little or does it even matter? Let's discuss!

1. How many inches of sand do you have in your reef aquarium?

2. Is there a reason that you chose the depth of sand that you did?

image via @TriggerThis
74eb841c4ea1f26e553934100825818c.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 inches, but that is now between 2 and 4 in areas where flow and the cucumbers have moved it. I find that I get all of the denitrification benefits of a DSB with 3 inches without giving up more tank room to the 6 that was recommended 2-3 decades ago. The critters, phosphate buffering and denitrification make a sandbed 100% necessary for how I like to run a tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Approximately 1.5-2" depth. In spots it's 0" and others it's probably 3" or more (we can thank the "diggers" for that).
2. My LFS only had 3x 40lb bags of CaribSea Oolite, otherwise I probably would've added a fourth (I may still yet at some point down the road just to top the sand up in spots).

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For years ( decades ) I went with a deep sand bed approach and then went completely opposite on one tank with a bare bottomed tank. I really didn't care for the look and in the last 10-15 years have done 1"-2" up front, with and deeper spots in the back for wrasses.

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 1-1.5 inches of sand. Only really have it for aesthetic reasons. I have a conch and other inverts and help sift, to keep it clear. I placed the power heads closer to the surface to avoid any sand movement. I do have one corner where return line comes in that does push some sand away, I placed some rubble rock to deter the water to and keep the sand stable.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than an inch in my reef tank and 1-2 inches in my FOWLR tank.

Looks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Mine is up to 3/4"

Originally this tank was intended and at one time was Fish only. I noticed the bottom would display diatoms and was then algae. I added some sand from another tank of mine with just enough to cover the bottom and to entrap detritus making it easier to clean out

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have around 2” or 2.5”, it’s maybe a little deeper than I’d like, but it’s not too deep. I have a conch and try to stir it up here and there, but I don’t really vacuum it that much (I will do little spots occasionally).

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 11+ year old tank with 5 inches of sand, a 9 year tank with about an inch, and what used to be one of my frag tanks, which now is essentially a shallow reef with no sand. What do i find the difference? Just the amount of sand. My thoughts on why i dont see a difference and dont have a side in the debate? All of my tanks are started using the live rock from my first tank when i moved to Florida in 2009. The rock was from the original Tampa Bay live rock, and some that may have come from rock that came up from snags while fishing in Charlotte Harbor. In my humble opinion, the rock makes the difference.

i think this “fear of pests” has created bigger challenges for the first few years of a tank. Way more than the sand/no sand issue. Plus, with real live rock, why cycle? My 8 month old SPS 25 gallon cube was set up completely on a Saturday, including fish, a green slimer, a Red Dragon, a Germain Blue Digi, a Red Digi, a Hawkins, a Green Cap and a Purple Bonsai. I built an aquascape built from Dry Rock and added one piece of pukani that was sitting in my sump for about 5 years.

Linflas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly 5 inches with lots of hills and holes under the live rock due to a very busy Diamond Watchman Goby. As for why I was going for the mid range of a deep sand bed recommendation of 4-6 inches.

Last edited:

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a topic we never talk about, Sand Depth.......NOT!! Well things changes, people change, ideas change so let's talk about it some more today! I personally love the look of sand. But how much is too much and how little is too little or does it even matter? Let's discuss!

image via @TriggerThis
ok, so I have a diamond goby and pistol shrimp... so one corner of my tank has 5+ inches of sand (where their burrows are), and the other side has less than 1 inch, or has zero sand :rolleyes: ;Facepalm;Hilarious

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is staggered and mixed, 2 inches of sand over 1.5" of coarser mixed gravel. The right side is mainly coarse, the left is bikini bottom sand.

Why is it like this? I have no excuse; it's just how it is.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... right now bare bottom on purpose, I have high phosphates (.26 @ its highest.. .20 last night slowly bring them down.

This was a tank re-home and it been up roughly a month. once I get the detritus under control... I plan on going to a 2 inch special grade bed.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @TriggerThis
21/2 inches or so, for the goby

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back