How many inches of sand do you have in your reef tank? Does it matter?

How many inches of sand do you have in your reef aquarium?

• NO sand for me

Votes: 87 9.0%
  • Up to 1"

Votes: 138 14.2%
  • 1" - 2"

Votes: 430 44.3%
  • 2" - 4"

Votes: 296 30.5%
  • 4" - 6"

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • 6"+ Pics please!

Votes: 3 0.3%

• Total voters

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m going to add some more sand to mine. Do I risk kicking off a N cycle when I do this?
Nope. I do recommend rinsing as there's little lost benefit to an existing tank other than clouding and otherwise mucking everything up.

nessjosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up, I tried to not sift my 1-2" sand bed for almost 2 years. A couple weeks ago I decided to actually hit some dead spots. About a week later I had a Velvet outbreak. Come to learn from a fish disease expert that velvet cysts (or tomont stage) go dormant and can live in low oxygen areas of your tank like sand for a year or more. Currently, My tank is now fallow, I was able to save a dozen fish, and he recommended sifting all sand under my rock work to stir up any more velvet tomont cysts and start my fallow stage then. I only mention this because of the sand discussion. I only have 1-2" sand in my tank.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have seen and heard discussed regarding sand beds:
1. They trap all sorts of garbage
2. Need to be vacuumed regularly
3. Are required for certain wrasses who bury themselves when scared or at night
4. Depending on flow and grain size can be a pain to keep how you intended
5. You could go without just make sure your rock work is stable enough
6. I am sure everyone will agree and disagree with my thoughts (flame on)

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a topic we never talk about, Sand Depth.......NOT!! Well things changes, people change, ideas change so let's talk about it some more today! I personally love the look of sand. But how much is too much and how little is too little or does it even matter? Let's discuss!

1. How many inches of sand do you have in your reef aquarium?

2. Is there a reason that you chose the depth of sand that you did?

image via @TriggerThis
74eb841c4ea1f26e553934100825818c.jpg
Here's a topic we never talk about, Sand Depth.......NOT!! Well things changes, people change, ideas change so let's talk about it some more today! I personally love the look of sand. But how much is too much and how little is too little or does it even matter? Let's discuss!

image via @TriggerThis
74eb841c4ea1f26e553934100825818c.jpg
I have 3” because my tank is new and I plan to have a eal so when i set up my tank i put a 2” pvc pipe in across the back and buried it with 1” on top of it

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up, I tried to not sift my 1-2" sand bed for almost 2 years. A couple weeks ago I decided to actually hit some dead spots. About a week later I had a Velvet outbreak. Come to learn from a fish disease expert that velvet cysts (or tomont stage) go dormant and can live in low oxygen areas of your tank like sand for a year or more. Currently, My tank is now fallow, I was able to save a dozen fish, and he recommended sifting all sand under my rock work to stir up any more velvet tomont cysts and start my fallow stage then. I only mention this because of the sand discussion. I only have 1-2" sand in my tank.
Tomont is a funny word.

On the subject of inches, I started with 2" but aggressively syphoned it the first year and closer to 1.5" now. I stopped with the heavy sifting and syphoning and I ended up (not saying its the root cause) having an issue with nutrient decay. I started stirring up my sand bed with a backend of a toothbrush for about 2 minutes a day and things have greatly improved in the tank(though other changes could have been a factor as well)

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like one of the coolest substrates is a fine Oolitic aragonite, followed by a bacteria infused fine white sand "some recommend against buy wet sand" but I like it. Then you top it with a cap of course aragonite, I suppose it would cost an arm and a leg but my idea is that the different substrates promote unique environments for a bigger variety of colonizing bacteria and even multicellular life, diversifying your tank and increasing overall stability.

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got about 2in of sand most spots but I can see under almost all the rocks little holes and caverns where my Pistol shrimp has made, he always gets mad whenever the watchman goby starts moving sand around I’ve seen him stare at him and go back and forth moving sand to each other’s dens

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have around an inch and a half to two inches. I intended to have 1”, but I got a 20 pound bag for my 15 gallon tank and didn’t want to waste half of it, so I put as much as I could that looked nice. 1” was a little skimpy looking IMO.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

a bit less than 2"

My wife liked that way it looked and I didn't argue.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the hobby after 6 years and went with 2 inches. I like the look, plus I plan to get a goby and shrimp pair
Oh yeah! That was me too a little over a year ago. Was getting back into the hobby had plans for a goby pair and put in my sand. Over the next 6 months I had 3 gobys jump ship before I called it quits and wouldn't kill anymore. best laid plans lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back