How many ml of kalk can i dose safely at 1 time

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, another kalk question. Also I have read about 40 threads looking and could not find an answer, if I missed sorry in advance.

I am dosing almost 300 ml of kalk per day but from a dosing pump that can not slow down, it drips the ml's pretty fast. Consumption is going up, My question is can I dose 30 ml at once or is that too much? What is the quickest I could add kalk in at 1 time?

I currently have 48 dosing times overnight and it is getting confusing I would like to dose more every 30 min overnight if I can. (To simplify)

I saw Julian Sprung video saying he will mix 1/4 teaspoon and add at 1 time but I did not see sps in the tank...

Hope this makes sense, thanks all

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I don't dose kalk (yet) but I think I'd be tracking PH and basing the dose on that. How much would depend on that... in my head at least. Let's hear from those who know tho :)

Edit: I think your tank volume needs to be known; following to learn here

OP
OP
Unstoppable algae!

Unstoppable algae!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I don't dose kalk (yet) but I think I'd be tracking PH and basing the dose on that.

Thank you, I don't think i dose enough to raise my ph too high yet.
I currently have 48 times a night it doses 7 ml per dose, my ph high during day is almost 8.2 now.

Thanks

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw I don't dose kalk (yet) but I think I'd be tracking PH and basing the dose on that.

Thank you, I don't think i dose enough to raise my ph too high yet.
I currently have 48 times a night it doses 7 ml per dose, my ph high during day is almost 8.2 now.

Thanks
My dosing pump only has an option for dosing 12 times a day (English version of kamoar x1) works fine. Just base it off Alk consumption, if I were you. I also limit the kalk available to the pump, just in case the pump sticks on for some weird reason.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding 1.25% system volume of saturated limewater will increase pH by 0.7. 33 mLs in 65 gallons is about 0.01% if I did my quick math right.

I disagree. I would dose kalk based on alk consumption.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the tank is aerated (skimmer, powerheads, etc), that shouldn't be a problem.
Ok. Honestly I hear nothing but good about kalk but I've been reluctant to try it myself until I can track ph because my (current) understanding is that high ph can be detrimental but high alk is not much of a concern (relatively speaking). Think I'm getting near to trying it :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Honestly I hear nothing but good about kalk but I've been reluctant to try it myself until I can track ph because my (current) understanding is that high ph can be detrimental but high alk is not much of a concern (relatively speaking). Think I'm getting near to trying it :)
Just treat kalk as an alkalinity and calcium dosing system, and you'll be fine. Base amount on the tank's alk demand. Alk in a reef should be constant at a value in the range of 7 to 10 or so. Generally, you can track pH if you want, but I don't suggest trying to change it with additives.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just treat kalk as an alkalinity and calcium dosing system, and you'll be fine. Base amount on the tank's alk demand. Alk in a reef should be constant at a value in the range of 7 to 10 or so. Generally, you can track pH if you want, but I don't suggest trying to change it with additives.
Ok. That makes sense. I honestly only recently started to (more accurately) look my ph and I don't really like the idea of chasing it as it falls in a range that I'm comfortable with based on alk. Thanks for the advice

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, another kalk question.

Adding 1.25% of the tank water volume in saturated limewater (kalkwasser) will raise pH by about 0.6 - 0.7 pH units (exact amount varies and depends on the starting pH (bigger rise at lower pH) and the alk (bigger rise at lower alk). This amount boosts alk by 1.4 dKH.

Thus, if you add one tenth of that (0.125% of tank volume), the pH boost is less than 0.1 pH unit and the alk boost is 0.14 dKH. Both are fine, IMO, for all at once dosing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back