How many mls of core 7 does your tank use each day ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get them up no matter what I do. Have never seen anything above 0 p04 on nyos test kit. And saw 5ppm once on N03 but has remained at 0 ever since. Nyos test kit as well

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get them up no matter what I do. Have never seen anything above 0 p04 on nyos test kit. And saw 5ppm once on N03 but has remained at 0 ever since. Nyos test kit as well

That's what I suspected. Same with my tank until I started dosing NO3 and PO4 daily. I feed a stupid amount and have a large eel and still can't get readings without dosing. However, at which point I did get a reading with dosing my core 7 consumption increased quite a bit which is why I ask.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and ideas. I'm dosing into the algae fuge per Triton's recommendation. I've been dosing all parts equally until the past few months so it was tracking fine for over a year at equal dosing so not sure why things changed. Here's my dosing location with about 650 gph flowing through a pretty small area. It then flow directly into my fuge that has a gyre which provides even more flow immediately following the dose. The water is pretty turbulent in both the fuge and filter sock area. I have the dosing nozzles up high as a fail safe against potential siphoning if one of the DOS heads were to fail.

Thx for the info and pic!! Yeah now that I see it I'm almost certain you don't have nearly enough flow right where the supps hit the water. I don't mean turbulent in the chamber I mean like mj1200 or stronger pump pointing directly so it is agitating the surface right under where the dosing lines terminate. Then you'll have at least eliminated the most likely point of precipitation.

As an aside if you let your Ca levels hit 600+ at one point you would absolutely see a very biased dosing on the alk side in order to maintain alk levels since the elevated Ca would be easily bringing alk out of solution at a higher rate than you'd expect. Could have been a temporary precipitation event that cause this kind of mirage of increased alk uptake and impacted your dosing gameplan long term when it was a temporary incident causing it to seem as though you need a lot more alkalinity than was actually being consumed by the organisms in the tank.

Hope this helps. This is a newish phenomenon with the super concentrated complete ca/mg/kh/trace supps that have begun to dominate the market as of late. I did have a client that had been managing their tank by themselves originally who was doing directly from the undiluted B ionic jugs they ship super concentrated that need water added to them. His alk and Ca were like syrup and constantly clogging his lines he told me. His tank looked pretty good considering he was dosing almost 150mL a day of B ionic superconcentrate into a 90 gal tank that was about half stocked. And yes, his alk and Ca were inline, but only because there was so much rampant precipitation keeping them suppressed. He was actually uptaking about 15mL a day of the regular dilution strength B ionic once we corrected his system issues.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the info and pic!! Yeah now that I see it I'm almost certain you don't have nearly enough flow right where the supps hit the water. I don't mean turbulent in the chamber I mean like mj1200 or stronger pump pointing directly so it is agitating the surface right under where the dosing lines terminate. Then you'll have at least eliminated the most likely point of precipitation.

As an aside if you let your Ca levels hit 600+ at one point you would absolutely see a very biased dosing on the alk side in order to maintain alk levels since the elevated Ca would be easily bringing alk out of solution at a higher rate than you'd expect. Could have been a temporary precipitation event that cause this kind of mirage of increased alk uptake and impacted your dosing gameplan long term when it was a temporary incident causing it to seem as though you need a lot more alkalinity than was actually being consumed by the organisms in the tank.

Hope this helps. This is a newish phenomenon with the super concentrated complete ca/mg/kh/trace supps that have begun to dominate the market as of late. I did have a client that had been managing their tank by themselves originally who was doing directly from the undiluted B ionic jugs they ship super concentrated that need water added to them. His alk and Ca were like syrup and constantly clogging his lines he told me. His tank looked pretty good considering he was dosing almost 150mL a day of B ionic superconcentrate into a 90 gal tank that was about half stocked. And yes, his alk and Ca were inline, but only because there was so much rampant precipitation keeping them suppressed. He was actually uptaking about 15mL a day of the regular dilution strength B ionic once we corrected his system issues.

Okay thanks. I'll see what I can do to find a better dosing location.

So the more I think about when my equal dosing started to get out of line it was during a large Bryopsis outbreak which I eventually treated with Fluconazole. I'm starting to think the Bryopsis itself and or the treatment may be the culprit here for my CA spike and need for unequal dosing. And now that it's gone and my tank is back to normal the dose seems to be converging again (in fact I just did my weekly test which showed CA dropping at the lower dose so I have it set equal again). While my CA did hit 600 for a brief period of time I corrected it immediately and it's back down to about 410 today (and correlating with about 60 mls of core 7). My core 7 dose was still very high in the ranges mentioned while CA was normal prior to treatment, however. Thanks

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CMO What are you dosing for N03 and P04? I ordered brightwell N03 and p04 but feel like it’s to watered down. Have to use a full bottle a day to get a reading.

I'm using brightwell but maybe I still have some of the older stuff that's not diluted so much. I heard that it became more diluted somewhat recently. Anyhow, did you ever try dosing it consistently for several weeks regularly? There seems to be a lag effect with dosing unless you dose a ton at once like you mentioned. When starting from 0 nutrients it takes my tank about 2 weeks of daily dosing at "normal" levels to start registering. I'm dosing about 10mls of NeoNitro and 3mls of NoPhos to maintain NO3 1-5 and PO4 .01-.05. But again, this might be the older undiluted stuff since I stocked up on it and haven't purchased recently.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you guys are still dosing Core 7. If so, how much of each are you dosing every day?

I'm currently dosing about 30ml for each unit (Core 1, 2, 3a & 3b) to maintain 8.3 dKh. In June I was dosing 15ml a day to maintain 8.5dKh. I'm assuming since we've adding a bunch of corals and have seen great growth that I'm going to continue to be dosing more.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you guys are still dosing Core 7. If so, how much of each are you dosing every day?

I'm currently dosing about 30ml for each unit (Core 1, 2, 3a & 3b) to maintain 8.3 dKh. In June I was dosing 15ml a day to maintain 8.5dKh. I'm assuming since we've adding a bunch of corals and have seen great growth that I'm going to continue to be dosing more.

I am and will continue dosing Core 7.
I do not dose equally as my system will not allow it.
When I did my CA and Mag were rising way to high.
That said off the top of my head I don't recall exactly.
But my ratios are roughly 10ml for Ca and Mg and 40 for alk.

I have been pondering if I have an issue with my system that my dosing is so far seperated.
But I have read post from others that are in the same situation.

In the end it matter not what others do to a point.
There results will not match anyone else's

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back