How many of us are out there?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know the estimated number of marine aquarium keepers out there. Say here in the states, or even world wide. I realize a lot come and go . How about those who do this over time?
I wonder.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know the estimated number of marine aquarium keepers out there. Say here in the states, or even world wide. I realize a lot come and go . How about those who do this over time?
I wonder.
I haven't been in the game long. Pushing three years, but I have no intentions of stopping :) in it for the long haul. But there are a couple users on here, I forget whom, are apart of the 40 year club (not really a club, I just made that up :) )

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was in 98, but didn't really get going till I had a permanent house and at least a little extra money. That was in 2012. I'm not sure how many of us are out there, but I would say not many (taking all population into account)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if BRS, or someone like that would have an idea of the amount of us out there. I'm sure some of the big manufacturers have an idea as well. I've just never seen any statistics on the subject.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Estimates are that 1.5-2 million households worldwide keep marine aquaria (approximately 800,000 in the United States )."

https://www.quora.com/How-big-is-the-global-personal-aquarium-market

https://www.google.com/search?q=mar...rome..69i57.9578j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I was gonna guess around 1 million in the U.S. , but that was just a wag. Sounds about right to me though. Thanks for posting!

It's not an easy or cheap hobby to get into. It takes a lot of patience and most often we experience set backs and failures before we experience the glory! I think the internet and new methods/technologies have made it much easier, but still takes some dedication. Or just more money!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping Marine fish since 1989-90 with a few years off from 91-93 but ever since I've had a tank. Didn't start corals till last year.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting, but there is no reason I see why a major pollster would do this just to know. Someone like BRS or Marine Depot could simply take their customer base and divide by the number of family households to get a rough estimate for the US.

Assuming @Instigate is correct, and that an average aquarist spends say $2,000 for a set up (fresh or salt average let's say), that is roughly $3-4 billion. Lets say on average one spends $500 a year to stock and maintain their tank, that is a regular yearly stream of $1 billion a year in addition.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t get involved until 2005. Had to start over after a divorce. Now back in full swing
Similar situations ... I am also starting to return after the divorce.

The "environment" of aquarism here in Brazil has worsened a lot in the last two years because of the economic crisis and unemployment (I suppose), many shops have closed and others have shrunk their turnover very much, but there are already signs of recovery .

Regards

chris k.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank i was in 5th grade it was a small gold fish bowl. That was in the early 80's. I have had many since off and on. My last two were salt water. My first saltwater tank was around 2000. And was a fish only tank. I could not afford the lighting for corals. The wet/dry sump was the new thing to have with the blue balls . Now that setup is obsolete. And i agree the internet makes it easier to reefkeep. Any problems at any time you will get answers.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a couple of wet dry's around here . Still work great for FO setups !

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar situations ... I am also starting to return after the divorce.

The "environment" of aquarism here in Brazil has worsened a lot in the last two years because of the economic crisis and unemployment (I suppose), many shops have closed and others have shrunk their turnover very much, but there are already signs of recovery .

Regards
That is good to here things are starting to look better.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me my first personal tank was right around 86, had thanks up until 2001 the took a break. Back into it 2015 with my current tank.

I would say there are more then 10 and less then 100,000,000 reefers. Another good question would be what is the average size of reef aquarium, then calculate the total amount of gallons of water the are salt the aquariums

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back