How many of you actually run dual return pumps on a single return?

How many return pumps are you actually running

• Total voters

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know the general consensus is that we run dual return pumps for redundancy. Then again, the general consensus is that fish should be quarantined yet, most don't. So I'm curious, how many of you are actually running dual return pumps? Either on a single overflow or dual overflow setup.

**Meant to say "single overflow" in the heading. Can't change it now.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single pump on a dual overflow, but I may upgrade to a second pump at some point down the road (we'll see). I don't need it for flow - just redundancy. Then again, I may just buy a spare pump to have a "spare in the air" in case I ever need to replace it.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Single pump on a dual overflow, but I may upgrade to a second pump at some point down the road (we'll see). I don't need it for flow - just redundancy. Then again, I may just buy a spare pump to have a "spare in the air" in case I ever need to replacTha

Thanks for the input.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the general consensus is that we run dual return pumps for redundancy. Then again, the general consensus is that fish should be quarantined yet, most don't. So I'm curious, how many of you are actually running dual return pumps? Either on a single overflow or dual overflow setup.

**Meant to say "single overflow" in the heading. Can't change it now.
I'm not yet, since my build is not finished, but I plan to have a single overflow with 2 separately-plumbed return pumps.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over complicating things in my opinion. I've got a cheap extra pump I can use if my return fails. And I could run the tank without the sump for days if I had to by just dropping a heater in the tank. I don't see the need for two return pumps unless maybe you're frequently away for days at a time.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it depends on the pump. If you're running an external AC pump, like Iwaki, Panworld and Blueline, then there is no need for redundancy.

If someone made me run a DC pump, especially a cheap one, I would consider running two with separate returns. You wouldn't need 2 overflows necessarily.

What about dual returns on single overflows?
Depending on how that's set up, if one fails, it will do funny things

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over complicating things in my opinion. I've got a cheap extra pump I can use if my return fails. And I could run the tank without the sump for days if I had to by just dropping a heater in the tank. I don't see the need for two return pumps unless maybe you're frequently away for days at a time.
We think alike.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual overflows with dual returns... not just for redundancy. The second return pushes water to the UV and to the frag tank as well as the main tank.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me that if you're going to run 2 pumps on a single return, you'll have to have check valves on both pumps to keep the flow from one from just going back down into the sump through plumbing of the other if one fails. Unless I'm missing something.
Check valves are notoriously faulty, and require regular maintenance to ensure they're functioning properly. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, and more risky than I'd like.

I'd either go for dual returns with a pump dedicated for each return, or just having a spare pump on hand for emergencies for the single return.

Back